16 Cheap But Fun Ways To Throw The Best Holiday Party Ever
Being fun and festive on a budget is easier than you think.
1. Rule number one: Ask for RSVPs! Knowing how many guests to plan for can help you avoid wasting unnecessary cash on preparing stuff for people who don't show up.
2. If you don't have holiday decor on hand, just grab some string lights to create an instant festive vibe.
3. You can also DIY some decorations from cheap materials — think paper stars or snowflakes. There are tutorials online for basically everything in existence!
4. Ask all your guests to give you two songs they'd like to hear, and incorporate them into a holiday playlist.
5. Have a potluck party instead of preparing a ton of dishes yourself.
6. Resist the urge to buy premade desserts and bake or prepare any sweet treats yourself.
7. Or, set up a cookie-decorating bar for your guests!
8. Tell your guests to bring a favorite card game or board game.
9. Or grab an inexpensive seasonally appropriate game, like holiday charades or trivia — perfect for even family-friendly holiday parties.
10. And if you really want to take your party to the next level, get a karaoke microphone — trust us.
11. Forget ugly sweaters — have a holiday pajama party!
12. Set up a DIY photo backdrop with wrapping paper or string lights and get some holiday props.
13. Have everyone who wants to participate bring a gift under $10 for a white elephant gift exchange...
14. ...or have a "bad Santa" gift exchange, where people are required to bring crummy gifts that they're not allowed to spend any money on.
15. Set up a crafts station where guests can make their own ornaments to take home.
16. Once everyone is too tired to socialize, put on a classic holiday movie and call it a night.
All images via Getty Images.