13 Things You Didn't Know About "Gilmore Girls" According To Lane Kim
Keiko Agena, the actress who played Rory Gilmore's (Alexis Bledel) best friend for seven seasons, held a Reddit AMA on Wednesday and shared some great facts about the beloved show.
1. Emily Kuroda is actually quite opposite of her character Mrs. Kim. She's really sweet and a computer geek.
2. Every single word had to match the scripts exactly, and there was no improv on set and no cue cards to help.
3. Dean (Jared Padelecki) was recast three times, so the scene in the pilot where Rory and Dean meet had to be reshot three times.
4. Unlike Lane, Agena only had a few CDs when she was in college.
One of them was the Good Morning, Vietnam soundtrack.
5. When Carole King, who recorded the show's theme song with her daughter, first arrived on set to guest-star as Sophie, Melissa McCarthy — who played Sookie — brought some vinyls for the musician to sign.
6. Agena took lessons on set so she could really play the drums in her scenes.
7. The real Dave Rygalski, husband to Hep Alien namesake Helen Pai, would sometimes play backup guitar for Brian (John Cabrera) and Gil (Sebastian Bach) off screen.
8. And Adam Brody's character, Dave Rygalski, was named after him.
9. Bach is a heavy metal singer in real life and brought that experience to set.
Whenever the band would film scenes involving musical stuff, he "would always get the extras to have a good time!" Agena said.
10. Also, Mrs. Kim was based on Pai's mom.
Both are Seventh Day Adventists.
11. Coincidentally, Agena's romantic life closely resembles Lane's romantic life.
On the show, Lane moves in with Zack (Todd Lowe) and then they start a romantic relationship and get married. In real life, unbeknownst to the writers, Agena started a romantic relationship with her roommate — also a guitar player — and they got married.
12. Agena took Lane's red shoes and one of her sweaters from set.
She wanted to take Lane's glasses but didn't know if they were coming back for Season 8, so when the show was canceled she never got them.
13. Though she has no knowledge of an on-screen reunion, Agena said she'd absolutely reprise her role as Lane for a Gilmore Girls movie if show creator Amy Sherman-Palladino wrote the script.
Graham, Bledel, and Sherman-Palladino are reuniting for a panel at the 2015 ATX Television Festival. Agena said it's currently "a question mark" if she'll be there as well!