1. “Captain EO” is a 3-D movie starring Michael Jackson made for Disney theme parks in 1986.
Sit back, relax, and let the dulcet tones of Whoopi Goldberg take you on a journey back to 1986 when a 3-D space oddity starring Michael Jackson was just what Disney thought the public needed. in “The Making of Captain EO.”
4. It has a motley crew of creatures.
Before hiring the performers to play Captain EO’s crew, Francis Ford Coppola had Michael Jackson improvise job interviews with the actors in character because METHOD ACTING. You can watch the interviews in the “Making of Captain EO” video above.
6. Anjelica Huston as the Supreme Leader will haunt your dreams.
“Anjelica Huston accepted the role without realizing she’d have to be suspended from cables for most of the shoot. The Supreme Leader design would years later serve as the primary inspiration for the design of the Borg Queen (who also was suspended in midair by cables) from Star Trek: First Contact (1996) and Star Trek: Voyager (1995).”
10. At the time, it was the most expensive film ever produced on a per-minute basis.
Captain EO’s use of its 3D, lasers, and smoke effects resulted in the seventeen-minute film costing an estimated $30 million to produce in total averaging out at $1.76 million per minute.
11. Just take a look at the movie’s credits:
Executive producer: George Lucas
Choreographers: Jeffrey Hornaday & Michael Jackson
Screenplay: Rusty Lemorande, George Lucas, Francis Ford Coppola, from a story idea by the artists of Walt Disney Imagineering
Music: Written & performed by Michael Jackson
Captain EO: Michael Jackson
Supreme Leader: Anjelica Huston
12. It was beloved by all. So much so that these cast members at Euro Disney filmed a re-enactment.
Because you really need to see Eeyore busting moves like MJ.
15. It regained popularity after the death of Michael Jackson in 2009.
It can be seen again in most Disney Parks worldwide today!