1. In Toy Story, Buzz Lightyear's original name was Lunar Larry. After a lot of back and forth, it was eventually changed to honour real-life astronaut Buzz Aldrin.
2. There was a specific production budget set aside for cocaine during the shooting of The Blues Brothers.
3. During the filming of a scene in Django Unchained, Leonardo DiCaprio accidentally cut his hand open. He stayed in character though, and ultimately wiped the blood on Kerry Washington's face.
4. In the scene from Poltergeist where JoBeth Williams swims through a pool of bones and skulls, she wasn't diving with props. They were real dead bodies.
6. Natalie Portman was originally cast as Juliet in Romeo and Juliet when she was 13 years old. However, the age difference between her and leading man Leonardo DiCaprio proved problematic.
7. That wasn't the only dramatic occurrence on the set of Romeo and Juliet. One of the movie's hair and makeup artists was kidnapped by gang members and held for ransom. He was returned by being thrown out of a moving car which caused him to break a leg.
8. Paul Bateson, who played an X-Ray technician in The Exorcist, was a convicted murderer who dismembered and killed a series of gay men in the 1970s.
10. O.J. Simpson was almost cast as the Terminator, but James Cameron thought he was "too pleasant" to portray a dark character.
12. The sound of the velociraptors in Jurassic Park is actually a recording of two tortoises having sex on a loop.
14. Most of the dialogue in The Blair Witch project was improvised. The cast were only given notes outlining the general direction of the narrative for that day's filming.
16. There's a scene in Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers where Aragorn kicks a helmet, screams in anguish and falls to his knees. It turns out the reason for his reaction is because he actually broke a toe.
17. Daniel Radcliffe was supposed to wear green eye contacts throughout the Harry Potter movies in keeping with the description of the character in the book. However, he found them so excruciatingly uncomfortable that they just decided Harry would have blue eyes instead.
18. Jeremy Ions developed vocal problems mid-way through recording the song "Be Prepared" for the Lion King. The song was completed by Jim Cummings – AKA the voice of Winnie The Pooh.
19. In 1940, Gone With The Wind actor Hattie McDaniel became the first ever African American actor to win an Academy Award. However, thanks to racial segregation, movie executives had to beg for her to even be able to attend the ceremony, where she was then seated at a small table at the rear of the venue away from her fellow nominees.
20. The poster for Just My Luck features a paparazzi photo of Lindsay Lohan. In fact, the studio loved it so much that they decided to change the movie's tagline to "Everything changed in the wink of an eye."
21. The famous Star Wars "I love you/ I know" interaction wasn't actually in the original script, but suggested by Harrison Ford.
22. Robert De Niro paid a dentist $5,000 to mess up his teeth for the role in Cape Fear, and then $20,000 fix them afterwards.
23. For his role as a drug addict in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Charlie Sheen stayed awake for 48 hours straight to achieve an "authentic look."
24. James Cameron spent more time with the Titanic on diving excursions than the original passengers did on the ship.
25. Cameron's commitment to authenticity throughout the movie helped solve a mystery about the shipwreck.
26. After an astrophysicist contacted James Cameron to tell him that the constellation of stars Rose looks up at while on the door in the ocean was wrong, he re-edited the scene for the 10th anniversary director's cut.
27. The man at the end of Titanic drinking from a flask was based on a real passenger who survived in the Atlantic as a direct result of his blood alcohol level.
28. If all of the present day scenes in Titanic were deleted leaving only those taking place in 1912, the film would run for 2 hours and 40 minutes – the exact time it took for the Titanic to sink.
Some submissions have been edited for length/clarity