1. The studio wanted Tom Cruise to play the role of Jack Dawson.
20th Century Fox wanted both Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise for the lead, but James Cameron insisted on Leo DiCaprio.
4. After writing the fictitious character of Jack Dawson, James Cameron learned that there was a real J. Dawson who died on the Titanic.
Joseph Dawson, along with many other Titanic victims, was buried in a cemetery in Nova Scotia. His gravestone is apparently the most visited in the cemetery.
6. The elderly couple who lie in bed as water floods the room is a tribute to Ida and Isidor Strauss, the owners of the Macy’s department store, who died on the Titanic.
14. Barbra Streisand and Reba McEntire were both in talks to play Molly Brown.
But the unsinkable character was ultimately played by Kathy Bates.
15. Madonna was considered for the role of Rose.
21. To make the bodies in the water appear frozen, a powder was applied to the actors’ faces, which then crystallized when exposed to water.
Wax was also applied to everyone’s hair and clothes, which gave everything a glossy, frozen look.
Correction: Number one on this list has been updated, as Tom Cruise did not audition for the role of Jack Dawson. Instead, the studio merely wanted him to play the part.
- A judge has declared a mistrial in the case of a South Carolina officer who fatally shot Walter Scott, an unarmed black man, in 2015.
- At least 36 people died in Friday's fire at a warehouse party in Oakland. Officials say they are nowhere close to finding a cause.
- Amazon is opening a grocery store in Seattle that will allow shoppers to walk in and walk out — without pulling out their wallets 👀🍎
- Adult Swim's alt-right comedy show didn't last long. They canceled it after 1 season following fierce criticism ❌📺