1. A pirated version of Star Trek Into Darkness has been available on YouTube since Sunday night — now for over 24 hours. The highly-anticipated movie was released Friday.
2. Two identical 120-minute videos of the film (a “FULL MOVIE” and a “copy”) were uploaded Sunday at approximately 8:30 a.m. ET. and 7:24 p.m. ET.
Screenshot 5/19: 7:36 p.m. EST.
3. Fifteen year-old YouTube user “Spockyy1231,” seen here, uploaded both Star Trek videos to his channel.
4. Star Trek Into Darkness is 129 minutes long and the YouTube videos capture everything except the opening scene. It appears to have been shot on a hand-held camera in a movie theater.
Screenshot 5/19: 7:21 p.m. ET.
5. The “FULL MOVIE” was taken down from YouTube at approximately 7:21 p.m. ET on Sunday, but the copy of the video is still currently online.
6. After the takedown, Spockyy1231 gave the remaining pirated video the exact same title as the one that had just been removed by YouTube.
Screenshot 5/20: 6:15 p.m. ET.
7. People are beginning to share the movie on Twitter and Facebook, so it remains to be seen how much longer this pirated copy will remain online.
I liked a @YouTube video http://t.co/oa9AXFyZky Copy of Star Trek Into Darkness FULL MOVIE! 2013 (CAM)
Star trek, full movie http://t.co/qdc06tontL
Watching the new Star Trek on Youtube. http://t.co/DkOMIdUqCA
watch before it gets removed .. http://t.co/KaMUKnweCj
11. The comments on the video, which has garnered 1200 new views in the past hour, reveal an interesting difference of opinion between people who found the pirated version of the sci-fi thriller.
BuzzFeed has reached out for comment to Spockyy1231 and Paramount.
14. UPDATE - 9:13 p.m. ET: The video has been removed due to a copyright claim by Paramount.
When asked for comment, a rep for Paramount told BuzzFeed the studio does not comment on individual acts of piracy.
- A Trump adviser is presenting himself as the unlikely go-between for a global elite he wants to understand Trump.
- Trump's pick for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, could face a contentious confirmation hearing — at least by standards of the position.
- Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit: no single market, parliamentary vote on the final deal, and a warning to the EU not to punish the UK.
- Most hate crimes go unreported. Help BuzzFeed News and other news outlets document hate crimes and harassment in the US.