1. A reusable roller dog hair remover might just have you toss your old sticky roller after you see how much fur this reusable one (it has a sturdy brush system) picks up on surfaces you thought were just going to be covered in fur forever.
Promising review: "But it’s the only way I look to buy things and trust it. I have a Maine coon and two rabbits. A Roomba and the rubber broom. Used daily. Thought maybe this would help, can’t hurt, and now I realize how little both of those things did. My houses air smells cleaner after I’ve gone over all our carpet. Gets everything!" —Brittany Atikinson
Get it from Amazon for $29.95.
2. A pet urine stain–removing spray that reviewers say tackle the stinkiest, nastiest pet messes that other cleaners just can't. Even the old ones! It has enzymes that tackle them for ya.
Rocco & Roxie Supply Company is a family-owned small business established in 2013 that specializes in pet odor eliminators, pet toys, pet snacks, and pet accessories.
Promising review: "If you have a dog more prone to accidents (who has really stinky messes, in particular), buy this and skip everything else. I’ve used many pet cleaners but this one is easily my favorite. You want to soak up/clean up as much as you can, kinda pat dry, then spray a good amount. I like to let it set for a while, put down some carpet scent powder, and then vacuum over everything. You’ll notice a distinct lighter color over your carpet because it cleans up EVERYTHING (not just the potty stains). definitely worth the price, I’ll be buying more again soon." —Asia Chance
Get it from Amazon for $19.97+ (available in two sizes).
3. An Angry Orange pet odor eliminator for erasing all the visual (and smelly) evidence of pet accidents on flooring and furniture. You don't need a new chair. You just need this.
Promising review: "This product is amazing!!!! We have a Rottweiler pup and a bichon pup and our house was feeling the PAIN! I tried everything and use to tell my wife, 'with all the science and technology in the world we still can’t come up with something that gets rid of the dog mark smell!'
This product does everything and more. Just ordered another round. We were about to throw away some furniture due to the smell and now after use we can keep it. Saved me hundreds. Well worth the money." —clayton s tonkin
Get it from Amazon for $19.97.
4. Stain-lifting pads can tackle the icky pet stains on your wall-to-wall beige carpeting from when your poor dog didn't want to go use the bathroom outside when it was storming.
Promising review: "I was skeptical of these pads being able to clean a carpet that had been peed on. However after using it according to directions, it amazingly smelled like nothing had happened! The pad soaks up the culprit and leaves a sweet fragrance that is very nice. Totally recommend if you have pets!" —shortnsweet
Get a pack of 20 from Amazon for $27.49.
5. Grandma's Secret, an under-the-radar solution with serious stain- and odor-removing prowess — like, cleaning pen from a white leather couch. Chilling!
It can remove oil, grease, ink, grass, and blood stains for all my vampires out there. Psst, a few months ago, I recommended this to a friend who fell in a puddle of motor oil on a sidewalk, then accidentally wiped it on her camel coat. It got the stains out!
Promising review: "I am a repeat customer. I found that a few sprays on stains — particularly on odor stains — is all that it takes to remove them. It removed new and old (set in) stains. Works well on all washable clothing. I also use it on the carpet when the cat has a vomit accident. It leaves no residue and takes out the odor and stain. So far, so Good." —civics teacher
Get it from Amazon for $9.99.
6. A carpet cleaning solution with results so impressive (just cast your eyes below this text!) that you may have to bleep out your own reaction. Get ready to break up with your carpet cleaner rental spot. Remember when your carpet was beige instead of greige?
It's from a family-run small business that specializes in cleaning products, especially ones for homes with pets!
Promising review: "I've been using Resolve for steam cleaners but after four or five passes, my old carpet still looked dirty and smelled like dog feet. I ordered this product and made a couple more passes over the carpet with better results. It seemed to remove more greasy dirt AND the smell is nicer than Resolve cleaner. It's kind of a baby powder smell and not very chemical-y. Anyway, this product lived up to the hype for cleaning old carpet with layers of dog grease in it. The carpet is still old but is back to the original color and no longer stinks!" —Popcorn Sally
Get it from Amazon for $16.97.
7. A bottle of nontoxic Folex Carpet Spot Remover can make all sorts of horrific stains disappear quickly. *And* there's no rinsing or vacuuming involved.
To use, apply to the stain, gently agitate with your fingers, and blot with an absorbent cloth. This is nontoxic and should be nonirritating on the skin!
Promising review: "I have tried every carpet cleaner under the planet and have had very tough-to-get-up dog urine spots from our dog who is 17 with bladder issues. I started off with the spray bottle of Folex, but upgraded to the 1 gallon jugs and used it in my carpet shampooer! It has permanently gotten up those hard to remove stains in one cleaning. Simply spray your area first with the Folex spray, and then use this in your shampooer. It permanently removed the stains and odor! I will recommend this to all of my friends! It also worked in my entry way where there is heavy traffic with dark dirt stains and also worked wonders on my Persian rugs! 10/10 recommend! It brought back my original colors!" —Christopher Privette
Get it from Amazon for $6.65+.
8. A 2-in-1 Hoover carpet cleaner built to take on pet hair and odors deep DEEP down in your carpets.
Promising review: "I thought my carpets were ruined for good, after using both my old Bissell and the rentals offered by the local grocery store. Our last dog, rest in peace, had not left the world before thoroughly destroying my carpets from incontinence. Our newest dog had lived her entire life before us in a kennel, where she went at will. Suffice to say, my bedroom floor was an eyesore.
The first use completely restored my aging carpet. It's still old carpet, don't get me wrong, but it's now CLEAN old carpet. The stains are gone. The odor is gone. I no longer cringe when I walk into the bedroom. Life is good.
Not only has this machine done a spectacular job of cleaning, it is also easy to clean itself. The pieces come apart intuitively, and the dog hair rinses easily away. Previous carpet cleaners I've used have been a nightmare, losing suction quickly due to debris being caught in the front with no easy way to remove it." —Erica
Get it from Amazon for $239.
9. An all-natural, litter attractant powder to convince kitties to actually use their litter box where odors have a much better chance of being trapped on the spot.
It's best to use this with unscented clumping litter, like Dr. Elsey's, since any litter that has deodorizing properties can mask the smell of this attractant, making it ineffective.
Promising review: "This product works! We took in a kitten several months back and she would use the litter box sometimes, but also was at least once a day peeing on my bed and pooping on the floor beside my bed. I found this, bought it, and on the first night of sprinkling it in her litter box, she used it from there on out. Even with litter changes, I’d still use some just in case. She’s not peed or pooped anywhere else since and I don’t really use it anymore other than here and there, so it’s not just going to waste." —Jessica Benjamin
Get it from Amazon for $10.90+ (also available in a pack of three).
10. A carpet cleaner can transform all sorts of soft surfaces in your home BESIDES your carpet (though it'll do amazing work there too). Turns out, you don't need to buy a new couch after that huge accident from your tiny puppy.
Promising review: "The only thing that took the odor off my pee accident–prone puppy’s couch accident…. Amazing on carpets!!! I do suggest you clean the vacuum after each use because then the smell sticks to it and then you’re going to have a problem… other then that you my friend are good to go with accidental accidents from juices, to food to pee stains …" —leiny s.
Get it from Amazon for $123.59+ (available in three configurations).
11. A UV black-light flashlight that'll track down all sorts of messes that've been avoiding you. Now, you can figure out the source of that weird smell.
Promising review: "OMG this is disgusting!!! I hope this isn't all just cat pee that shows up cause there is a lot! I bought this because I thought my cat was peeing in one room and couldn't find the exact spot so I bought this. Found the spot and more. Would recommend." —Momof3boys
Get it from Amazon for $19.99.
12. Arm & Hammer odor buster balls you can stick in all sorts of places throughout your home where things are smelling a little funky. Reviewers also say it helps get pet odors out of their cars.
13. A Pet House reed diffuser to park in a *high* spot where your pets can't get to it for an endless stream of a pleasant, neutralizing scent that won't smell like odor-neutralizing products of yore.
I have one of these in my bedroom right now! I first got obsessed with the brand's candles when I lived with a very slobbery English Bulldog. But I've continued using them long after I no longer live with a dog because they cut through weird apartment smells ASAP, like when I pan fry fish or roast Brussels sprouts in the oven. (FYI, if you don't live in an apartment, basically the whole place smells like whatever you've cooked that day if you're not careful.)
Get it from Amazon for $19.99 (available in six scents).
14. A clear, odorless stain repellent spray that'll try and keep your home's surfaces free of messes. It works on carpets, rugs, and upholstery. And when stuff DOES happen, you can easily blot it away without worrying about stains being left behind.
Promising review: "This product is phenomenal. I'm the type of person who wants to disprove claims that seem too good to be true, so I sprayed it on an older white shirt then literally dumped a cup of coffee on it. It completely repelled the coffee. No stains, no lingering smell. Since I'm both clumsy with liquids in hand and have pets who seem to prefer using my furniture as a bathroom, I've literally coated every piece of fabric in my house with this. It's definitely going to be a regular purchase for me." —Kelly
Get it from Amazon for $19.97.
15. A pair of charcoal deodorizing shoe inserts will not only freshen up your running shoes, but you can also post throughout your home to catch and get rid of wet dog smell.
16. A bottle of air sanitizer (yes that's a thing) can eliminate the WORST of smells (even cigarette smoke!) because sometimes plugging an air freshener into an outlet just masks the funk.
Other reviews on sold-out listings mention that it's great for covering up dead animal smells (sometimes mice get in your car?!) and that funeral directors also swear by it. So there's that. My mom uses this on regular smells (like our alive family dog Hank and cooking wafts), and it WORKS.
Promising review: "Ozium is by far the best spray for odors. This product works to eliminate — not just cover up odors. Even tough odors like eggs, pets, or bathroom. I use it daily, sometimes just to freshen the rooms. My friends and family always compliment how fresh our place always smells. Thank you Ozium!!" —John Nettles
Get it from Amazon for $12.51.