We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
You probably already know that using a humidifier can help relieve parched winter skin. But there are other advantages to adding moisture to your home's air! Low humidity can lead to travesties like creaky wood furniture, brittle book pages, warped wood floors, ruined musical instruments, and even brittle wine corks.
FYI, most humidifiers fall into two major categories. *Cool mist* models keep your room's temperature the same, while *warm mist* options boil the water before emitting mist, so they increase a room's temperature.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a cool mist humidifier for kids with stuffy noses, as hot-water models can pose a safety risk. And tbh, it seems like most people prefer cool mist!
Manufacturers suggest using distilled water because it's free of minerals that can cause "dust" that can settle around your humidifier when you use unfiltered tap or well water. That depends on your water supply and if such a dust matters to you. Some folks get around that rule with a humidifier filter or water from a filter pitcher (like a Brita).
Also be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for cleaning, as methods vary but will keep your gadget running safely and effectively!
And here are some of the ~best~ humidifiers we found!
1. An ultrasonic cool-mist number with a 1.5 L reservoir big enough for a spacious bedroom or living room.
2. An essential oil diffuser that moonlights as a cool-mist humidifier *and* is a dead ringer for one I saw at a fancy spa.
3. A ~versatile~ humidifier with options for both warm and cool mist (in case you want both)!
4. A Dyson humidifier/fan combo that uses UV light to kill 99.9% of bacteria in its cool mist and has been allergy and asthma certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
5. A compact woodgrain babe with four timed settings and cool-mist output because you deserve a ~stylish~ option that looks like a design choice rather than a seasonal stuffiness aide.
6. A Vicks warm-mist wonder perfect for using with soothing liquid inhalants.
7. A cool-mist giant with a 5 L tank and a run time of up to 17 hours in a sleek, low-key design.
8. A cool-mist fixture with some serious hydrating spread.
9. A compact ultrasonic drop that puts out cool mist and is super easy to clean.
10. A powerful cool-mist model designed with an aromatherapy tank cap for making your indoor air smell ~lovely~.
11. A warm-mist humidifier that's filter-free with a large tank opening for easy-peasy cleaning.
12. An aromatherapy humidifier with seven soothing lighting options.
13. An ultra-silent option with a microporous cartridge for odorless cool mist.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.