Kit Harington Told Us 35 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Him
We talked to Kit about freaking out over meeting Ben Whishaw and the time he tried to talk his way into a French nightclub.
Kit Harington has been a household name ever since 2011, when he shot to fame as Jon Snow in the first ever episode of HBO's Game of Thrones. We all know Thrones will be coming to an end this year with its eighth and final season, but Kit isn't stopping any time soon: he's currently performing in a play on London's West End, and has had several roles in both movies and TV. Now he's reprising his role as Eret in How To Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World.
When we got the opportunity to speak with Kit in London recently to promote the movie, we decided to ask him a few important questions and get to know a little bit more about him...
1. Tea or coffee?
Kit Harington: Tea.
2. Puppies or kittens?
3. What animal are you most similar to?
KH: A panda.
4. Have you ever been mistaken for another celebrity?
KH: Yeah, weirdly, Elijah Wood. I think it's just because we're about the same height.
5. Have you ever intentionally pretended to be another celebrity?
KH: [laughs] No, but I tried to get into a French nightclub by saying "je suis celebrity" once. That's the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to me.
BuzzFeed: Did it work?
6. What was the most exciting thing about returning to the world of How To Train Your Dragon?
KH: I love being part of this family. I loved seeing Dean [DeBlois] — who's the creator and the writer and the mastermind of it — and getting into a booth with him and acting the scenes out with him, because he's just so much fun to work with.
7. What's the most challenging thing about working in animation?
KH: I think that, because you're not necessarily seeing what's going on on the other side of things with the animation, you have to do a lot of imagining yourself about the situation so you can vocally match what's going on. When you finally do it, you kind of go, "Well, I could've gone a bit bigger then, or a bit smaller." But it takes a lot of imagining, a bit like green screen work.
8. Is there an element of your character that you particularly relate to on a personal level?
KH: He's very stressed a lot of the time, you know, he's concerned about things. I think that's like me.
9. Where is your favourite place in the world?
KH: I have a little place in the countryside, and it's very peaceful.
10. Where's one place you've never been, but would love to visit?
KH: I've never been to Argentina, and I'd like to go to Argentina. I've never stepped foot on the continent of Africa, so there's tons of countries I want to go to there.
11. What is the weirdest possession you own?
KH: [thinks for a long time] I don't know. Generally my wife keeps throwing out anything weird I've got.
12. What's your favourite pizza topping?
KH: Anchovies. Mhm.
13. What's your drink of choice?
KH: A nice Barolo. Red wine.
14. What's your favourite drunk food?
15. What's your signature dance move?
KH: The shoulder dance. It goes like that.
16. What advice would you give to your younger self?
KH: Chill out, mate. [laughs]
17. And what's the best piece of advice you've ever been given?
KH: Turn up and be happy. Wait a minute, no, I got that wrong. It's turn up and be nice.
18. What's the craziest fan encounter you've ever had?
KH: It's probably with someone like Tom Brady. He's a fan of Thrones, and that's mad, isn't it? One of the greatest quarterbacks of all time and he's a fan of the show.
19. Have you ever freaked out about meeting a celebrity?
KH: Yes! I freaked out when I met Ed Norton. I freaked out when I met Paul McCartney. Ben Whishaw, I really freaked out. I got tongue-tied, I couldn't speak to him.
20. Who is one actor you'd love to work with, but haven't yet?
KH: Leonardo DiCaprio.
21. What's the most challenging role you've ever played?
KH: I mean, just for the length of time, Jon Snow, I guess.
22. What's the most fun you've ever had playing a role?
KH: Currently, right now, I'm doing a play called True West, and it's a lot of fun.
23. If you could use any of your past characters' quotes as a life motto, what would it be?
KH: "I know nothing." [laughs]
24. What's your biggest pet peeve?
KH: I don't like people who walk slow. When you're walking down the street and someone's holding you up. It does my head in.
25. What is the one thing you're most afraid of?
KH: Human crushes. You know, like, people crushing in on each other. Not people having a crush on me.
26. Who was the last person you texted?
KH: Oh, it's going to be boring, but it was my agent.
27. What's the last song you had stuck in your head?
KH: It's a song that's been stuck in my head for ages, and I can't get it out of my head. It's by the Portico Quartet, and it's called "Prickly Pear".
28. What's your go-to karaoke song?
KH: "Eye of the Survivor". Is that how you say it?
BF: "Eye of the Tiger"?
KH: "Eye of the Tiger"! That's why it never comes up.
29. What's the last movie you saw?
KH: I watched Red Dragon again recently, and I also watched They Shall Never Grow Old, which is a very haunting First World War documentary.
30. What movie never fails to make you cry?
31. What job would you want to do if you weren't an actor?
KH: We were just talking about this. I'd be a travel writer.
32. What's your proudest achievement?
KH: Making it this far. [laughs]
33. What's one ambition you have yet to accomplish?
KH: To climb Mount Snowdon.
34. What's one thing that's guaranteed to make you happy?
KH: A log fire and a glass of red.
35. And finally, what's something people would be surprised to know about you?
KH: That I'm a genuinely unsurprising person. [laughs]