1. No, the show is not about LeBron James.
But it is about a twentysomething phenom with an enormous new NBA contract that catapults him into superstardom.
Cam Calloway (Jessie Usher) is at the center of this Entourage-esque half-hour scripted comedy, as a young man who suddenly has the world at his feet. With his cousin as his manager and various needy family members along for the ride, Cam must manage conflicting loyalties while learning to navigate the worlds of sports, fame, and money.
2. The show has serious gravitas behind it.
In addition to the aforementioned 10-time NBA All-Star, the team of executive producers is made more authentic with the addition of Maverick Carter, James’ manager and lifelong friend. Mike O’ Malley (Emmy-nominated for his work in Glee) serves as head writer and executive producer.
And if that’s not enough, Tom Werner is a co-creator and executive producer as well. Chances are, you’ve grown up watching his work: Werner is the man to thank for Martin, Roseanne, The Cosby Show, That ’70s Show, and many other iconic programs.
3. The cast is captivating.
Tichina Arnold (Everybody Hates Chris, Martin), Teyonah Parris (Mad Men, Dear White People), Ronreaco Lee (Sister, Sister), and comedian Mike Epps round out the cast, led by charismatic — and handsome — newcomer Jessie T. Usher.
“I think the audience is smart enough to discover new talent,” Werner said in July, at the National Association of Black Journalists convention in Boston, of the ensemble cast. “I think it’s exciting to discover new actors.”
4. Technically, it’s a comedy.
As someone lucky enough to make it out of an impoverished neighborhood, Cam tries to enjoy the fruits of his labor. But the resentment of those he leaves behind lends itself to some intense predicaments.
The show’s creators partnered with Starz in order to show the gritty realities of the world in which Cam now lives. The sex, nudity, and graphic language pay cable is known for? All here, if that’s your thing.
Get a taste of it all in this new trailer, exclusive to BuzzFeed:
Survivor’s Remorse premieres Saturday, Oct. 4, on Starz at 9 p.m.
- Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A former "Apprentice" contestant has filed a lawsuit against Trump for calling her a liar over sexual assault allegations.
- Birth control startups are seeing a spike in demand because many women are nervous coverage under Obamacare will disappear.
- You can now dig through the CIA's secret history. 12 millions declassified docs are on the internet for all to see 🤓📚