1. All right, it’s time to play a little armchair casting director.
If you’re a person, chances are you’ve spent a decent amount of time watching shows about the investigation of violent crimes.
Between ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS, there are at least 20 such programs being produced, known in the business as “Police Procedurals.”
NCIS: Los Angeles
3. Well, you are going to put together your dream cast for a theoretical police procedural show.
It’s not that hard!
4. Start with your primary male lead.
Example: Christopher Meloni as Det. Elliot Stabler from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
Description: Needs to be able to play enigmatic, be attractive but old enough to potentially be a father. Typically, this figure will be a fairly recognizable white actor. They are who you are going to sell this show with.
5. Next, you’ll need your female lead.
Example: Emily Deschanel as Dr. Temperance Brennan on Bones.
Description: Unlike the primary male lead, your female lead doesn’t need to be particularly well known to the average American family. She should be younger than the male lead, unless she is understood to be a love interest.
6. Then add a rapper-turned-actor.
Example: LL Cool J as Special Agent Sam Hanna on NCIS: Los Angeles.
Description: Your favorite childhood rappers are gunning for some TV time, so give it to them. If they did a sci-fi show, that works, too.
7. To round out your top four characters, you’ll need some comic relief.
Example: Scott Caan as Det. Danny Williams on Hawaii Five-0.
Description: Traditionally, this role has been filled by another white guy, but casting directors are increasingly flexible when it comes to the token comedian.
8. If you want to take things even further, you could add your pick for the division supervisor.
Example: Penny Johnson Jerald as Captain Victoria Gates on Castle.
Description: There isn’t much of a formula here, except they should be nominally older than the rest of the cast.
9. Then add your eccentric medical examiner.
Example: Kurt Fuller as Dr. Woodrow “Woody” Strode on Psych.
Description: Calling all character actors…
10. You will need an assistant district attorney.
Example: Diane Neal as A.D.A. Casey Novak on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
Description: It’s an easy spot to squeeze in a high profile cameo — if you want.
11. And who could forget the nerdy character who works in the lab?
Example: Pauley Perrette as Abby Sciuto on NCIS.
Description: A mastermind character who some how has the ability to do everything chemistry, computer and insect-related.
12. So who is on your crime fighting dream team?
Let us know in the comments and feel free to break any or all of the rules.
Bonus points if you come up with a witty name for the show and a synopsis.
- President Trump has given House Republicans an ultimatum: Pass their health care bill Friday or he'll move on to other issues.
- The Republican health care bill is "anti-woman," said the president of Planned Parenthood, whose organization would be defunded by the legislation.
- The suspect in the London terror attack near Parliament, who was killed by police, has been identified as 52-year-old Khalid Masood.
- Donald Trump had a photo op in a semitruck. The photos were too good not to become a meme — and the internet delivered 🚛👍