2. Yukio Tani, the great Japanese fighter, began to teach women the art.
Before long, wrestling mats were brought out at fashionable parties and during balls. Jiu-Jitsu masters were in high demand for both entertainment purposes and more practical lessons, with young girls squeezing in practice between etiquette and dance.
9. However, Jiu-Jitsu wasn’t the only aggressive sport enjoyed by society women.
In 1901, Thomas Edison filmed this bout of fisticuffs by the Gordon Sisters.
- President Trump accused Barack Obama of organizing recent protests against him and leaking information from the White House to the press.
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos compared historically black colleges and universities to charter schools, spurring criticism of "whitewashing history."
- A second wave of bomb threats sent to Jewish community centers brought the number of locations threatened on Monday to 30.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers fessed up to the Oscars oops that caused "La La Land" to be named best picture instead of "Moonlight."