2. Yukio Tani, the great Japanese fighter, began to teach women the art.
Before long, wrestling mats were brought out at fashionable parties and during balls. Jiu-Jitsu masters were in high demand for both entertainment purposes and more practical lessons, with young girls squeezing in practice between etiquette and dance.
9. However, Jiu-Jitsu wasn’t the only aggressive sport enjoyed by society women.
In 1901, Thomas Edison filmed this bout of fisticuffs by the Gordon Sisters.
- The Democratic National Convention starts today and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- At least two people have been killed and 16 others were injured in a shooting outside a nightclub in Fort Myers, Florida, media say.
- Chris Froome won the Tour de France. He's the first Brit to win the cycling race three times 🚴