Back in the beginning of 2011, rumbling started on the Internet about China building the world’s first video-game theme park in the Jiangsu province. Within six months, Shanghaiist was on the ground and taking photos shortly after the park celebrated its April 29 grand opening.
With the park’s price tag of 200 million yuan, or about $30 million, park investors weren’t going to let a little thing like “copyright infringement” stand in the way of their 600,000-square-meter cash cow. And despite their “Terrain of Magic” land bearing a striking resemblance to Blizzard MMO behemoth “World of Warcraft,” or perhaps because of it, Joyland has become known as China’s Disneyland, with over 30,000 people in attendance for its one-year anniversary this past May.
Reddit user Francesca Timbers, a British English teacher living in Shangai, recently visited Joyland with camera in tow. BuzzFeed decided to see exactly how closely the park compared with the game.
BuzzFeed reached out to Blizzard Entertainment via email for a statement, but as of this time has not received a response.
6. This could be a Pandaren, Blizzard’s mythical race of martial art pandas.
Or it could be a take on Jack Black’s character from Kung Fu Panda.
7. “World of Warcraft” has centaurs and demons. But not centaur demons.
So far Joyland is in the clear.
10. This wolf guarding a dilapidated building is obviously a werewolf.
12. This demonic archer looks kind of familiar.
14. OK, now we’re getting into straight up rip-off territory.
16. This pretty spiraling tower may seem innocuous.
18. You will have three stars of happiness on Kael’Thas Silvermoon ride.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘