1. HD 189733b aka “The Trickster”
Distance from Earth: 63 light-years.
Deal breaker: Despite being the first exoplanet astronomer’s have determined the true color of — using the Telescope Imaging Spectrograph to measure changes in the color of light from the planet before, during and after a pass behind its star this is no Earth-2 — this is a no go. The blue color comes not from the reflection of water, but an atmosphere of silicate particles. Combined with temps of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, it possibly rains glass — sideways — through 4,500-mph winds.
2. Fomalhaut b aka “The Ninja”
Distance from Earth: 25 light-years.
Deal breaker: Considered a rogue planet, it has an elliptical orbit that takes about 2,000 years to complete. No big deal, except it is continuously traveling through a huge cloud of debris surrounding its star, making it difficult for astronomers to see, but more importantly meaning huge chunks of ice rock pelt the surface in a never-ending barrage.
3. UCF-1.01 aka “The Hot Potato”
Distance from Earth: 33 light-years
Deal breaker: At just two-thirds the size of Earth, it is one of the smallest exoplanets ever discovered. However, it’s hanging out so close to its star that, should it be made of the same composition as our home planet, the ground is literally hot lava. Hot molten lava that burns.
4. HD 209458b aka “The Steam Room”
Distance from Earth: 150 light-years
Deal breaker With its impressive tail, this dying planet appears more like a comet. In reality, it is the first of a purposed new class of dead planets — called chthonian planets — where the atmosphere is evaporating at such a rate to be seen from space. In this case hydrogen and oxygen are being ripped from their planet at almost 22,000 mph in temperatures exceeding 1800 degrees Fahrenheit. Awesome to look at, not to live on.
5. 55 Cancri e aka “Two Face”
Distance from Earth: 41 light-years
Deal breaker While the composition is most likely a water world, it’s not suitable for post-apocalyptic Kevin Coster. Considered tidally locked — meaning the same side is constantly facing its sun — the planet’s water is in a supercritical state. Both a gas and a liquid and topped with a layer of steam, one side of is approximately 3,140 degrees Fahrenheit while the other frigidly cold.
6. GJ1214b aka “Davy Jones Locker”
Distance from Earth: 40 light-years
Deal breaker: Using infrared technology to test the atmospheric colors, scientists are fairly certain this is an ocean planet. However with temperatures exceeding 450 degrees Fahrenheit, even the hardiest of Earth’s microorganisms could not survive in an alien landscape that may contain features like “hot ice,” “plasma water” or crystalline ice structures reminiscent of the Fortress of Solitude.
- Politics in France were redrawn Sunday as pro-EU Macron and far-right Le Pen advanced to a runoff in the country's presidential election 🇫🇷
- US Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Sunday that DREAMers, like "everyone that enters the country unlawfully," are "subject to deportation."
- North Korea has arrested a third American citizen amid a dramatic escalation in tensions with the United States.
- Drag queens, puppies, and Lisa Rinna — BuzzFeed News got a behind the scenes look of "Watch What Happens Live."