The now extinct Domino Sugar Factory opened up its usually closed doors to invite visitors to see Kara Walker’s impressive a Subtlety or the Marvelous Sugar Baby, a 35-foot-high woman-sphynx made of four tons of sugar. The wall plaque for the exhibition reads briefly, “An homage to the unpaid and overworked artisans who have refined our sweet tastes from the cane fields to the kitchens of the new world on the occasion of the demolition of the Domino Sugar Refining Plant.”
Here’s how visitors reacted to her works of art:
1. This visitor was awestruck by the line to get into the show.
2. These two pint-sized visitors seemed to have gotten distracted from what was seated behind them.
3. “Sugar sphyx was heavy,” said this visitor.
4. This visitor found the work inspiring enough to Decim8 it.
5. These visitors appear to be lovestruck by the radiating figure beside them.
6. These visitors decided to take a break from the spectacle to get the most out of their fascinating surroundings.
10. While this one tested out the facial recognition software in their iPhone.
13. This pug could hardly restrain from getting a taste for himself.
“i love licking everything!” he says.
16. This visitor demonstrated his favorite scene in The Lion King.
19. Some visitors took a moment to reflect.
“Leaning against posts IS my yoga,” she says.
- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has apologized for negligence after lawmakers impeached her over a corruption scandal.
- Donald Trump will remain an executive producer on NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" while he's president.
- More than 1,000 Russian athletes — including four gold medalists — have been involved in a doping conspiracy, a new report says.
- Uber finally laid out hard rules for riders: No guns, sex, or barfing, please 🚗❌