1. First things first, hit play.
Welcome to Jurassic Park!
2. John Alvin (1948–2008) was an American artist who hand-painted some of the most famous movie posters of the ’80s and ’90s, including Jurassic Park.
3. Alvin produced a number of treatments and sketches for the poster, many of which have never been seen.
5. He produced some of the most iconic movie posters in cinema history, including Star Wars, Blade Runner, the Indiana Jones films, The Lion King, and E.T.
6. These unused Jurassic Park posters show his incredible skill and range.
7. And it’s safe to say that any of them would have been iconic, had they been used.
11. Some of the paintings in the book show entirely different treatments for the poster.
This one captures a great moment from the film, and evokes his famous E.T. poster.
12. This painting gives the film a ’50s B-movie feel.
13. And this treatment captures the magic of the film, rather than focusing on the monster aspect.
15. Here’s the minimal poster they ended up using…
The Art of John Alvin is released on 22 August. Artwork reproduced here with permission.