1. I Dreamed A Dream
Move over Anna Hathaway, Aretha did it better and she didn’t have to lose 20 pounds or cut all her hair off to do it! At Clinton’s Inauguration, Aretha did an AMAZING rendition of “I Dreamed A Dream” from Les Miserables. Her changes to the lyrics were inspiring (I have a dream! Life could not kill the dream I dreamed!) her voice is flawless, her stage presence cannot be beat, and her choice of outfit is, as always, pure perfect DIVA. “First Lady of Soul?” How about “President of Soul?”
2. I Say A Little Prayer For You
This song had already been on the top 100 charts (sung by Dionne Warwick in 1967) but Aretha made it her own and reached number 10!!
3. Bridge Over Troubled Water
Simon & Garfunkel don’t even compare. And, look at her play the organ!! What a boss.
4. Nessun Dorma
When famed opera singer Luciano Pavarotti fell ill and couldn’t sing at the 40th Grammy Awards, Aretha stepped in and sang for him. BUT, did she cop out and sing one of her own songs? NO!! She sang the aria that Pavarotti was supposed to sing, “Nessum Dorma.” And, as usual, SHE KILLED IT. I mean, they already had the choir there, so why not?
5. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
Aretha released this song in 1967, and it reached number 8 on the top 100 charts. Mary J Blige did her own rendition of it on her 1995 album, but Aretha’s version really can’t be topped.
6. La Vie En Rose
Yes, Edith Piaf also kills this song. But, when injected with Aretha’s soul royalty, it climbs to another level of WOW.
7. At Last
SING IT ARETHA. Etta James has all that jazz, but she doesn’t have all that soul.
8. My Country ‘Tis of Thee/ America
At Obama’s 2008 Inauguration, Aretha sang “My Country ‘Tis of Thee/ America” blowing out of the water anyone else who would ever sing at any Inauguration ever again, but especially Kelly Clarkson, who sang the same song in 2013. Also, Aretha also did her performance LIVE (looking at you, Beyonce.) And, she wore the most amazing hat that has ever existed. Kudos to you, Queen of Everything!!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Confused refugees question what's next as French authorities begin to clear out the Calais "Jungle" camp.
- Jay Z is set to hold a get out the vote concert for Hillary Clinton in Ohio aimed at mobilizing black voters.
- The UK government has backed a third runway at London's Heathrow Airport, saying it'll benefit the the country's economy ✈️
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏