1. Metro Trains Melboune — “Dumb Ways To Die”
The goddamn cutest safety PSA ever is the overwhelming favorite to win the Cannes Grand Prix next week. This is the rare perfect advertising masterpiece, and the even rarer ad that makes me proud of my industry.
Ad agency: McCann, Australia.
2. Southern Comfort — The World’s Most Comfortable Man
He — not that big phony “The World’s Most Interesting Man” — is the hero Alcohol deserves.
Men like him. Women like him. Dogs like him. He likes him.
A perfect blend of branding, created by Wieden & Kennedy.
3. Evian — “Baby and Me”
Unlike the rest of the world, I violently dislike the Evian Babies campaign — but that’s partially because bottled water is an evil fucking product. But, only partially. Using babies or animals as your creative linchpin is uncreative and uninspiring.
Ad agency: BETC, Paris.
4. Channel 4 — Paralympics
If this ad doesn’t inspire you to get off your ass and do something — anything — nothing will. The jolting war zone and car crash scenes are a brilliant touch to a brilliantly directed video. Track Public Enemy: “Harder Than You Think.”
Ad agency: none. Director: Tom Tagholm.
5. Thai Health Promotion Board — Smoking Kid
One of the best anti-smoking PSAs ever produced.
It is “shockvertising” at its best (unlike these four bullshit ads), because it involves real people and a real insight.
Ad agency: Ogilvy, Asia.
6. Carlton Draught — Beer Chase
Quite possibly, the most entertaining beer commercial ever made, that also doubles as a don’t drink and drive PSA. A massive winner of an ad.
Ad agency: Clemenger BBDO.
7. Axe — “Susan Glenn”
Well, it is the best Axe commercial ever, but that ain’t sayin’ much.
Ad agency: BBH New York.
8. Midttrafik — The Bus
When I first viewed this ad, I wanted to cab to JFK airport, fly to Copenhagen, and ride one of Denmark’s amazing public buses as soon as was technologically possible.
Ad agency: M2Film.
MY CHOICE AND PREDICTION:
If I was judging, the Midttrafik bus ad would win the Grand Prix, because it sold a nearly unsellable thing — public bus transportation.
But, the “Dumb Ways To Die” is going to win. Bank it.
- David Fry, the last of the Oregon wildlife refuge occupiers, has surrendered to the FBI, ending a 40-day protest.
- Physicists have found gravitational waves: wrinkles in space-time that could open up a new way to see the universe 🔭
- Time for Democratic presidential debate number six: Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will face each other in Wisconsin tonight 🇺🇸