1. Putting “100 years old” in a cig ad, oh how devious.
2. Most people are familiar with this classic ad. Note that the number has been “certified.”
3. Doctors doctors, everywhere…
4. Sure, throw a dentist in the mix, too.
5. “A feeling of well-being” — the “for digestion’s sake” was a long-running Camel campaign that featured many athletes.
6. This is my favorite “for digestion’s sake” ad. A smoking smoke-eater.
7. The cure for the common cold (see nurse’s copy).
8. Gotta stay ahead of your fat, tar-colored doppelgänger.
10. More fat, tar-colored ghosts. The appetite suppressing properties of tobacco haven’t gone out of style, of course.
11. Pall Mall produced a series of ads with illustrations of healthy-looking fruit to sell their taste.
13. “No curative power is claimed…but” we’re going to claim it anyway.
- Around 100 people drowned this past weekend after two migrant vessels went down in the Mediterranean sea.
- People trolled the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency for tweeting elements of the historic Osama bin Laden raid in Pakistan five years ago.
- And elephants performed for the last time at Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey after years of protest from animal advocates 🐘