1. 1960. Colt .45.
An epic spot. Here’s the 2nd ad from the campaign where our hero waits in the middle of an air strip.
Ad agency: W. B. Doner.
2. 1964. Xerox.
The first ever Xerox commercial was this one featuring a little girl making a copy to show folks how easy the copier was to use.
Xerox’s competitors cried bullshit, and network officials asked original Mad Man George Lois to try again.
The above commercial was Lois’ response.
Read more on the story here.
3. 1967. American Motors.
A modern day Noah.
Ad agency: unknown. If you know, comment.
4. 1960s. Braniff Airlines
From the glory days of air travel.
The commercial was created by Mary Wells of Wells Rich Greene.
5. 1967. Noxema.
Speaking of stripping, Swedish model Gunilla Knudsen transfixed an entire nation of men (and boys) with this ad.
Ad agency: William Etsy.
6. 1964. Hawaiian Punch.
It punched you right in the face, over and over, with the product name.
Ad agency: Atherton-Privett.
7. 1960s. Cracker Jacks.
Brilliant casting by Doyle Dane Bernbach in selecting Broadway actor Jack Gilford as the face of the brand. This is my favorite of several humorous commercials he made.
8. 1964. Volkswagen.
Here, Doyle Dane Bernbach created one of the best car commercials ever.
9. First aired late 1960s. American Tourister luggage.
Not an actual gorilla.
Ad agency: Doyle Dane Bernbach.
10. 1965. Heinz pickles.
Ad agency: Doyle Dane Bernbach, I think.
I know they had the account in 1968.
11. 1964. Democratic National Committee.
This Doyle Dane Bernbach commercial for Lyndon Johnson aired only once.
12. 1960s. Laura Scudder’s potato chips
The kid was great.
Yep. Doyle Dane Bernbach.
Laura Scudder’s was a west coast product.
13. 1969. Alka Seltzer.
A classic ad.
DOYLE DANE FUCKING BERNBACH.
And here’s a fantastic book on the 1960s creative revolution in advertising:
When Advertising Tried Harder (The Sixties — The Golden Age of American Advertising).
- A few weeks ago, he was Trump's national security adviser. Now Mike Flynn is seeking immunity for testifying on the Trump campaign's alleged ties to Russia.
- The White House refuses to deny a report saying Trump administration officials gave the House intelligence chairman classified information.
- The controversial HB2 "bathroom law" in North Carolina was partially repealed, but LGBT activists say the repeal legislation still allows discrimination.
- SpaceX has launched and landed a recycled rocket for the first time. It's a big step towards making space flight cheaper ♻️🚀