I never close my laptop. For one thing, the corner is so broken that I can’t decide whether it’s safe to close it or not. My bad, laptop, I still love you (even though I’ve dropped you on that corner about a gagillion times.) Along with that, I never close my tabs. I always have something important open, so I keep the browser and tabs up so I don’t lose them because I rarely remember to bookmark. One thing that I always wake up to see can dictate how my morning will go, by far. I wake my computer up, and the logo blares up at me: Tumblr.
This website and I have fought, made up, then fought again countless times due to online haters, crashing, or just keeping me up at night. No matter how much I try to ignore it, I hear the voice in the back of my head: “Hey. I see you on your phone. Why don’t you just touch that little T on your screen. No one will know…”
It feels like an affair on my phone.
Alas, no matter how I feel about this blasted site, I keep coming back. It just has that appeal. So, to keep this epidemic from spreading, check this list and see if any of these apply to you.
1. Anons. Alright, so almost everyone on Tumblr has had an anon or two. Some good, some bad. I am not tumblr famous, so whenever I see that little red number on my dash, I feel all mushy gushy warm cupcakes inside.
Then I see messages that say, “lol ur fic sux quit tumblr” or “y do u keep blogging no one likes u”, it turns into those hard chocolate chip cookies that no one wants, or the soggy bottoms of old muffins.
I mean, I know they’re probably about 12 years old, but c’mon now guys. Grow up. Instead, try filling someone’s inbox with nice things that make them smell flowers and shit rainbows, yea?
2. Tumblr eats time. I get home in the afternoon, pull up Tumblr, and scroll my dash. I check the clock, see that it’s around 2 or 3 pm, I’m good to go for a few hours. I can put off cleaning my room for a little while longer. I check the clock again: 12 am. When did this happen?! How does a website like this, where you literally look at pictures all day, eat away 10 hours of my life?! I literally do not understand this. Does not compute in my brain.
Now, it’s not all bad things and grumpy cat faces here. There are plenty of things I love about Tumblr.
3. My friends on Tumblr.
I’ve met so many awesome people on Tumblr, I can’t begin to describe it. Every time I make a new friend in a fandom, I get more and more convince that I won’t spend the rest of my life alone and unloved. I even know some people offline that have blogs, so we all join in on Tumblr together and talk about things that happened that day, or freak out over a new fandom update.
4. Seeing uplifting and cheery posts that make me forget about how bad my life can be. They make me feel better when I’ve had a bad day, not to mention seeing all the inspirational stuff from my friends makes me feel good. People make fun of hipster inspirational posts on Tumblr, and don’t get me wrong, I’m one of them because sometimes it’s just too much fun (even though I’m a borderline hipster myself). Some days, however, I reblog those posts just because they make me feel better inside, like there’s hope in the world.
So let yourself get addicted to Tumblr. It’s the best and worse decision of you life.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Hillary Clinton has picked Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine as her running mate. He was considered a favorite for the ticket.
- At least 10 people, including the gunman, are dead after a shooting at a mall in Munich, Germany.
- Trying to catch 'em all on Pokémon Go? This guy pretty much already beat you to it 🐣 🏃