1. Going Viral On BuzzFeed
This morning’s absolute must-see viral post is a clip from TLC’s Strange Addictions.
3. Debt Ceiling Deadline Draws Closer
Weeks into stale negotiations, the unresolved issue of raising the debt ceiling remains a huge story as the August 2nd deadline looms ahead.
The Huffington Post reminds, Debt Ceiling Deadline Looms As Obama, Republicans Clash.
The Atlantic asks if we’re close to making Progress Toward A Debt Deal.
And Gothamist looks to Bill Clinton with Original First Black President Thinks Obama Should Use Debt Ceiling Loophole.
4. Remembering Amy Winehouse
Pop singer Amy Winehouse passed away in her bed on Saturday at the age of 27. Although the cause of death is officially “unexplained,” many have voiced their lack of surprise, not only given her public struggles with drugs but citing lyrics from one of her songs.
They tried to make me go to rehab but I said ‘no, no, no’
Amy Winehouse music videos saw a huge boost in shares following news of her death, with “Tears Dry On Their Own,” “You Know I’m No Good,” and “Back To Black” each accruing more than 140,000 shares within just the last 24 hours.
8. Oslo Mass Murderer Media Saturation
Searches for “The Knights Templar” have been among the fastest-growing Google search trends this morning in connection to the self-authored manifesto from the mass murderer in Oslo, Norway.
Intense media coverage of the story has led to widespread public knowledge of the tragic event, and trolls on 4chan’s /b/ board have been working hard to turn the murderer into an anti-hero and a meme.
Rather than show or explain anything about that, I’m deferring to a video Charlie Brooker made in 2009 criticizing media coverage of mass murderers.
10. Less Search For Travel And Recreation, Arts, Society, And Science Coming Back
This time of year always marks a transition in people’s search trends as summer begins to wind down.
Expect searches for Travel and Recreation-related content to slump as searches for stories relating to the Arts & Humanities, Society, and Science stories to pick up traffic as students prepare for a new school year.
- A teenager was taken into custody Wednesday after he shot two students and one teacher at an elementary school in South Carolina.
- After top lawmakers accused Russia of meddling with the election, US officials have insisted votes on Election Day will be secure.
- "Hamilton" pulled back the curtain on race and Broadway, but these actors show how far theater still has to go 🎭