1. When your mother would try to shame you into cleaning.
2. And when she took off her chancleta and was officially not playing around.
3. When you knew everyday products by different names.
4. When your abuela finished getting dressed for the day.
5. And when she owned every pair of one shoe.
6. When you had to hang something up on your abuela's fridge.
7. And when you would ask her if you could watch some TV.
8. When only one man could tell you your past, present, and future by simply reading the stars.
9. And when Don Francisco was the only man you needed to turn a drab Saturday into the BEST. ONE. EVER.
10. When your mom heard you coughing and took necessary precautions.
11. When you were actually deathly ill and your mom had to move on to plan B.
12. When your parents would go shopping for refreshments for a children's party.
13. And when the piñata turned that party into the Hunger Games.
14. When your tia would get her hair done before a baby shower.
15. And when she was the one to buy the ONLY PRESENT THAT MATTERED.
16. When it got hot AF outside and you didn't want ice cream.
17. And when you just needed something sweet but a little less filling.
18. When trying to simply grab a plastic bag was a literal struggle.
19. When you finally grabbed one and it became your garbage can.
20. When you always knew what to expect when you opened the stove.
21. And when you NEVER knew what to expect when you opened a "butter" container.
22. When you were thirsty and went looking for something to drink in the fridge.
23. AND WHEN YOU CELEBRATED THE HOLIDAYS AND REALIZED WHY GROWING UP PUERTO RICAN WAS SIMPLY THE BEST.
Thumbnail Image: Allison Joyce / Stringer