2. In honoring Edith Windsor at Wednesday’s commencement ceremony, NYU president John Sexton said, “You were drawn to New York and Greenwich Village … by the opportunity, as you say it, to be gay.”
3. “You also found in Greenwich Village the woman who became your beloved spouse, the beautiful, vibrant and whip-smart Thea Spyer,” he told the crowd gathered at Yankee Stadium.
4. Detailing the tax bill Windsor had to pay because of DOMA after Spyer’s death, he said, “And so, an 83-year-old lesbian took the fight all the way to the Supreme Court.”
5. “As the highest court in the land deliberates your case … you, our beloved graduate, are a moving testament to the power and tenacity of this nation’s evolving search for justice and equality.”
6. “I am proud, on behalf of New York University, to present you its presidential medal,” he closed, to roaring applause and a “thank you” from Windsor.
7. And the audience tweeted their love:
Edith Windsor just got an award at my graduation. I love this school.
Edith Windsor is the ultimate bad bitch
Andrew B. Choi
Edith Windsor is adorable for 83, heck I’d marry her! #congratagradNYU #NYUCommencement
Proud as I am, I’m ever more proud of the #NYU Presidential Medal given today to Edith Schlain Windsor, lifelong LGBT rights advocate
2 standing ovations for Edith Windsor. Proud of this school. #NYU
My boo Edith Windsor killing it at commencement. Because of people like you, every day is gay pride day for me.
13. Watch the whole speech here:
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘