1. Get Groceries Delivered to Your Doorstep
Peapod, Safeway, Fresh Direct, etc. You can sort the list you are looking at to show the lower priced items first (it even shows the cost per ounce). Oh, and shipping is cheap and can even be FREE. DO IT (I’ve done it and it’s awesome).
2. Pay with Cash
Bring only a certain amount of money with you and pay with cash. You will find yourself looking at prices more.
3. Bring a Calculator to the Grocery Store
Calculate which carton of, let’s say yogurt, is cheaper per ounce. Here’s a totally likely (and easy math) scenario: There is a 16oz carton for $3 and a 32oz carton for $5. Which one do you choose?
4. Make a Grocery List and Always Keep it Handy
Keep a grocery list on your phone (there’s an app for that), email or text yourself when something pops into your head, tape a sheet of paper onto your fridge door along with a pen. Add to it throughout the week and remove items that you don’t really want anymore. When it comes time for shopping you have a complete list ready and ONLY get those items!
5. Eat a Full Meal Before You Shop
You sure won’t want a jumbo bag of chips (or 17 chocolate bars) with a full stomach. Trust me.
6. Avoid Center Aisles
Avoid the temptation and skip the junk food aisle. Candies and chips can stack up quickly and add more to your grocery bill. Less walking to do anyways.
7. Buy Food Online
Amazon.com = LIFESAVER … and there are plenty of sites that are just like it that offer free shipping (iHerb.com is great too). Buying groceries online is cheaper because you avoid the extra cost that the grocery store tacks on (to pay for rent, utilities, etc).
Buying in bulk is also cheaper and lasts you a longer time.
Amazing personal story: A small container of protein powder was $10 cheaper online… and if you’re like me and like both chocolate and vanilla flavors, then you just saved $20 in one sitting. Yes, sitting, because you get to sit around and shop rather than push around a shopping cart.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- A Kansas man shot three people after allegedly yelling "get out of my country." He believed two of the victims were Middle Eastern, however they were not.
- The substance used to assassinate the half-brother of North Korea's leader has been identified as VX nerve agent, a chemical listed as a weapon of mass destruction.
- Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords told Congress to "face your constituents," after a congressman used her 2011 shooting as justification for not holding a town hall.