1. Be flexible with your dates.
2. Book tickets for off-peak days and times.
3. Get the most for your money by checking out a seating plan.
Before you purchase your seats, check your flight on Seatguru to make sure you're getting a pleasant experience for your money, or to know which seats might be cheapest based on their comfort.
4. Look at return prices even if you're flying one-way.
6. Don't decide your destination in advance.
7. Use a travel agent.
Sometimes passing up an app or site to deal with someone directly can help you go farther and spend less. Visit an office such as Flight Centre or STA travel in person to talk through your travel needs with an actual human and discuss the best options for your budget and plans. This little known trick can save you hundreds, so think before you hit up Expedia.
8. Know your discount status.
9. Buy train tickets in advance.
10. Shop steathily.
11. Follow air and train lines, destinations, and travel sites online.
12. Use helpful websites.
13. Search fares directly from the airline.
14. Check your destination airport's website.
15. Use discount keywords in your search.
16. Look for alternative accommodations.
17. Look out for museum and attraction free days.
18. Save data without getting lost.
Save maps for offline use with this handy hack for the Google Maps app:
-Search the area you want to save and zoom in
-In the search bar, type 'ok maps' and hit search.
-Save and name the map
-Access the map even when you have no signal by opening up the 'My Places' tab in the app
Note that this only works for area maps, you can't save directions this way.