14. First same-sex pug couple takes photograph, 1952
Importance: Pugs have been way ahead of humans in this realm, accepting same-sex unions/marriage/love/etc. since the beginning of pugs. This was a big moment because this was the first time a human was willing to take a picture of two lovely male pugs in love. Humans have a lot to learn from pugs.
17. Lobster Fest, 1977
Importance: Moments after this photo was taken, the restaurant ran out of lobsters, causing pug riots in the street. No one knows what happens to this pug but legend has it he ran all the way to Maine to live his dream of eating lobster meat all day every day.
18. First Silent Disco, 1980
Importance: First, pugs invented the hipster paradise that is a Silent Disco. More importantly, the left out pug starts the lovable trend of left out pugs, becomes an internet sensation and the most popular pug in the world. This GIF is featured frequently in “Stars in High School! Just like us!”
21. First pug becomes a detective, 1988
Importance: This set up many pugs to be successful sleuths in the future: with their cute, unassuming faces, they were able to get into the most secret environments and catch some of the deadliest people. In 2013, one pug detective caught Whitey Bulger.
22. The epic “Rock, Paper, Scissors” battle of 1987.
Importance: Way before he became famous on Instagram, Norm won with a simple rock in a 3 hour battle. There was a lot of controversy as to whether Norm threw paper. It was ultimately decided it was a rock and he did, indeed, win and the cheers were heard across the world.
24. 1991, The Great Pug Conspiracy Begins
Importance: The conspiracy, which asserts that pugs will take over the world via the internet and general cuteness by 2050, persists to this day. It started when one Alfred Pug held a secret meeting with his pug friends on West 14th Street in NYC. The pug who transcribed the meeting disappeared two days later, along with the transcripts.
26. The Great Pug Protest of 1998
Importance: In 1998, a pug tied himself to a pole outside of the courtroom to get the word “Pug” added to the dictionary not just as a noun but as a verb. His protest worked and now the sentence, “She was just pugging down the street” is accepted in elite academic circles.
31. 2011: Pug protests the Royal Wedding
Importance: Pug William was in love with Kate in college, even encouraging to enter that lingerie fashion show that won Prince Williams heart. He speaks to how much he regrets it in his memoire, “Of Pug and Loss: One Dog’s Roller Coaster Ride with a Dutchess”.
33. 2012, this pug made friends with this corgi.
Importance:No one thought a camera could handle this much cute, everyone thought it would explode. The camera actually became stronger having documented such a brave, wonderful moment and is on the waiting list to be placed into the Smithsonian.
34. 2013, Norm the pug figures out how to take a selfie.
Importance: For years, pugs relied on humans to document their adorableness. However, when pug Norm used his dewclaw to take this selfie, pugs everywhere rejoiced because they could now document their majesty even when humans were not around.
- Confused refugees question what's next as French authorities begin to clear out the Calais "Jungle" camp.
- Donald Trump keeps questioning polls and insisting he's winning — even as most show him behind nationally.
- At least 59 people were killed in an overnight militant attack at a police center in Quetta, Pakistani officials say.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏