Ah, roomies. If you've lived through your twenties, chances are you've had to deal with a few. They don't all tend to be...perfect.
1. "In their ad, they say they are 'no drama.'"
2. "Mom moves him in while he watches."
"Mom sets his room up while he stares into his phone. Mom shops grocery and cooks it for him while he complains he's hungry. Mom fills the fridge with pre-cooked meals while he eats. Mom cleans up everything and leaves. Congratulations! Now you're his mom."
3. "Drinking habits are a big one."
4. "If friends of your potential roommate come to you and ask if you've really thought this through, and mention that maybe you don't know this person as well as you think you do."
"Listen to those people."
5. "If they don't have the same cleanliness standards as you, things will get a little rough."
6. "If all of their previous roommates were crazy/inexplicably hated them/forced them to move out/sociopaths/assholes/Satan worshippers, that's a HUGE red flag."
"Similar to a romantic partner."
7. "If you live with a friends, expect every one of their flaws to go up by a multiple of at least 5X."
8. "If someone decides the best way to communicate is via passive aggressive Post-It notes placed strategically about the apartment."
"You should consider finding a new place."
9. "When they bring their dates back to your room without telling you in advance."
10. "Ask if they own any non-stick cookware. Ask to see it."
"If it's not all scratched to hell, it's probably safe to leave yours in the kitchen for shared use. Otherwise, if it has a single scratch in it or if they don't own any, yours needs to stay under lock and key."
11. "Adult children. They're easy to spot and must be avoided."
12. "Differing political beliefs."
"I'm not talking, 'Oh, I disagree; let's have a slightly heated debate.' Those roommates are cool. The one's I'm talking about are the, 'If you don't agree with me, you want another Holocaust,' people."
13. "Did they move in with a barbell and 45 plates, but the whole house is hardwood floors, and they live on the second floor?"
15. "If they answer questions with questions, don't want to talk about themselves, or are intent on controlling the conversation, these people are just trouble."
"I'd avoid them. They're the type who, when you ask them if they would mind turning their music off earlier or using headphones or turning it down after a certain time, will reply with, 'Why are you so demanding? How come we have to do it your way?' They take any request for change on their part and spin it into you being unreasonable. Avoid."
16. "If their smell enters the room before they do and sticks around after they leave."
17. "Kind of too late to call, but if there's a fight on move-in day, the whole thing is going to be a fight."
18. "Doesn't have a job and isn't looking for one."
"This is based on my personal experience."
19. "My cat would piss on this one couple's clothing every time they left their clothes on the floor."
21. "People who are coming from mom and dad's house for the first time."
"You just never know what they're used to having other people do for them."