People Are Sharing Invasive Thoughts That Pop Into Their Heads
We've all been there...
Warning: Detailed descriptions
Sometimes a thought shows up that makes you wonder why anyone lets you out of the house.
So they asked Reddit: "What nonsensical, invasive thoughts do you have that pop up from time to time that make you question your sanity?"
Here are some of the most interesting responses:
1. "Lick it."
2. "What if I just leaned in and kissed them right now?"
3. "What if this is just a dream and I'm actually in a coma?"
"I was hit by a car seven years ago, ended up with terrible migraines that happen far too often. One thought I have often is, What if this is just a dream and I'm actually in a coma?" —u/Sea_Maybe
4. "What if one of these people can read my mind?"
5. "You are a complete fraud."
6. "Am I pregnant?"
7. "What if I screamed as loud as I could in this person's face?"
8. "Just drop your phone down the sewer grates."
"Just drop your Samsung down the sewer grates.
Just do it.
Then I have to fight the urge to just slot it through.
It would fit so nice." —u/Itburnsburnsburns80
9. "Stop pretending to be human."
10. "Just cut everyone off."
11. "I want to go home. When I'm already home."
"Honestly just, I want to go home, at various points in time. Especially when I am tired and doing something unpleasant. Often when I am already home." —u/wyrdsister42
12. "Throw someone I just met down on the couch and f*ck them."
13. "What the hell am I doing here...at my apartment?"
14. "How many people in this Walmart are _____?"
"Right now, how many of the people in the Walmart are ____ and insert some crazy, stupid, kinky, immoral, or the most downright depraved and illegal thing imaginable." —u/GusterBrown11
15. "Wouldn't it be easy to just sucker punch this man?"
16. "Isn't now a great time to slam my face into a wall?"
17. "I'm having a heart attack."
"That every time I have the slightest twinge of pain anywhere in my upper body I’m having a heart attack or if I have a slight headache, I’m having a brain aneurysm. Getting older is so much fun..." —u/dick-nipples
18. "Kill my cats."
19. "Do a swan dive."
20. "Grab their ankles so they fall."
"Mine is to grab the ankles of people walking up stairs ahead of me, so that they fall forward. I would never do it, but my brain sure does like to horrify me with this plan." —u/Raspberry_Sweaty
21. "Wow, this sucks."
Note: Some answers have been lightly edited for length/clarity.
Personally, I sometimes think about chewing off my fingers. Got anything that makes you say, "No, brain, no!"? Leave it in the comments!
If your invasive thoughts are causing you harm or concern, please consider these resources:
The National Alliance on Mental Illness is reachable at 1-888-950-6264 (NAMI) and provides information and referral services; GoodTherapy.org is an association of mental health professionals from more than 25 countries who support efforts to reduce harm in therapy.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. Other international suicide helplines can be found at befrienders.org. The Trevor Project, which provides help and suicide-prevention resources for LGBTQ youth, is reachable at 1-866-488-7386. You can also text TALK to 741741 for free, anonymous 24/7 crisis support in the US and UK from the Crisis Text Line.