1. You remember thinking "who the hell is this" when you first met them.
2. And you couldn't believe your parent was actually dating someone and showing affection.
3. You probably thought he was totally lame.
4. And you most likely assumed he was also old and awkward.
5. You refused to call him Dad, even if he never actually asked you to.
6. And you didn't know how to introduce him to your friends.
7. Your first family gathering with his side of the family was strange because you literally didn't know who anyone was.
8. But you always expected presents.
9. You definitely played the "you're not my real dad" card way too many times.
10. And you never took anything he said seriously, especially if it was about getting grounded.
11. But you probably also acted really polite when you wanted something.
12. Father's Day was always a little awkward because you didn't know if you should get him a card.
13. And if you did get him a gift, you didn't put a lot of effort into it.
14. But you eventually started to notice all of the little things he did for you.
15. Like looking out for you and giving you advice.
16. He probably even taught you a thing or two.
With mixed results.