1. Don't over think the proposal
2. But do make sure to actually ask the person to marry you
3. 3. Never assume someone is throwing you a bridal shower
While your bridesmaids traditionally will plan you a bridal shower, Monica put her bridesmaids in an awkward position when she made a comment to Rachel and Phoebe — who hadn't made any shower plans— about them planning her secret bridal shower. They ended up throwing together a last-minute shower where Monica offended all of the guests.
4. If your bridesmaids do throw you a shower, give them a clue about what you want
5. Make sure you're on the same page about bachelor/bachelorette parties
6. It's okay to have two maids of honor or best men
While having Rachel and Phoebe duke it out to be Monica's maid of honor made for good TV, there's no reason to do this in real life. It's perfectly acceptable to ask two people to share the role, like Ross eventually did for his (ill-fated) wedding to Emily.
7. Think carefully before hiring a friend
8. It's not all about the dress
9. Don't make your bridesmaids wear an ugly dress
10. Break in your dancing shoes
11. It's rarely ever a good idea to get married while drunk in Vegas
12. If you're planning a destination wedding, be considerate of your guests
When Emily found out that their venue was being torn down, Monica suggested that she and Ross postpone the wedding until they can find another suitable location — never mind the fact that Ross's friends and family had already traveled to England for the big day.
13. Make sure you're on the same page about your wedding plans before you start spending (or donating) any money
14. Don't assume your parents are paying
Soon after Chandler proposed, Monica told her parents they'd need to make a "big withdrawal from the Monica wedding fund" soon. That's when she learned that "the wedding fund" is now called "the beach house." Her parents explained, "We just assumed if you got married after you turned 30, you'd pay for it yourself."
15. Figure out who's paying for what before the big day
A tip for the groom's parents: don't offer to split the bill in half without knowing exactly what you're playing for. At Ross and Emily's rehearsal dinner, Ross's dad was hit with an itemized list of wedding expenses that included reasonable things, like flowers and liquor, followed by a bunch of upgrades to Emily's parents' house (where the reception took place), like re-carpeting the first floor, building a new guest bath, landscaping, installing wine cellar and gazebo, and more.
16. If you're a guest, don't mess with the couple's seating chart
17. It's normal to feel a little depressed after the wedding is over
18. Throwing a winter wedding? Have a back-up plan
19. Think carefully before inviting an ex
Sometimes, this works out fine — Ross even walked ex-wife Carol down the aisle at her wedding to Susan. But sometimes, it's more trouble than it's worth. With Rachel as a bridesmaid at Barry and Mindy's wedding, it became all about Barry and Rachel's failed wedding instead of about the couple. And we all know what happened when Rachel showed up as Ross's wedding to Emily. Which leads us to...