1. Then: Hollywood & Vine
2. Now: Hollywood & Vine
3. Then: Hodys Coffee Shop.
4. Now: Former location of Hody’s.
While Hody’s had long gone out of business the building that housed it had been converted into a nightclub, Basque.
Basque burned down in an early morning fire in 2008.
5. Then: Intersection at Hollywood & Vine.
Photo from the early ’50s.
6. Now: Intersection at Hollywood & Vine.
7. Then: Looking onto Hollywood & Vine, from Hollywood & Ivar.
8. Now: Looking onto Hollywood & Vine, from Hollywood & Ivar.
10. Now: Taft building housing a Starbucks.
11. Then: Capitol Records Building from Hollywood & Vine.
Photo is from the early ’60s.
12. Now: Capitol Records Building from Hollywood & Vine.
13. Then: Looking onto Hollywood & Vine, from Selma & Vine.
Early ‘50s: Construction of the Capital Records Building can be seen in the far upper right. It would be completed in 1956.
14. Now: Looking onto Hollywood & Vine, from Selma & Vine.
15. Then: Pantages Theatre
Photo from the mid-’60s.
Fun fact: It opened in 1930 and is formerly known as the RKO Pantages Theatre.
16. Now: Pantages Theatre
17. For even more 1950s Hollywood you can watch this film clip:
18. Another awesome film clip of 1950’s Hollywood & Vine:
- Hillary Clinton made her debut with VP pick Tim Kaine, who dipped into Spanish and spoke on support for immigration reform and gun control.
- The gunman who killed at least 10 people at a Munich, Germany mall on Friday was an 18-year-old "obsessed" with mass shootings, police said.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.