1. A group of hippies gathered at a “happening” in Golden Gate Park.
2. Two hippies crossing the street at Haight and Ashbury, the epicenter of the hippie counterculture movement.
3. The Haight-Ashbury district initially drew hippies living in San Francisco because of its low-rent, large Victorian homes, and proximity to Golden Gate Park.
4. But by 1967, the neighborhood drew the attention of young people from all over the U.S.
5. Teenagers and college students were drawn in by the allure of joining the Hippie Revolution.
6. By that summer an estimated 100,000 people had converged into the neighborhood.
7. Haight-Ashbury quickly faced a huge problem, it could not accommodate the rapid influx of people.
8. The neighborhood had issues with homelessness, drug use, and crime.
9. A hippie handing out copies of what appears to be the San Francisco Oracle, an underground neighborhood paper that covered the Haight-Ashbury scene.
10. Apparently people didn’t wear shoes.
11. Hippies hanging out on the corner of Haight St. and Masonic Ave.
12. The trippy interior of a psychedelic shop on Haight St….
13. …But not as trippy as the lady’s psychedelic paisley jump suit.
14. Or this guy’s pants.
15. More bare feet.
16. Apparently if you can’t find flowers for your hair, pigeon feathers will do.
17. Two girls at Golden Gate Park making daisy chains.
18. I have no idea whats going on in this photo and I doubt the guy in the chair does either.
19. By the end of the Summer of Love (1967), the Haight-Ashbury scene quickly fell apart.
20. Many of the people who had made the pilgrimage to San Francisco returned home or went back to college.
21. On October 6, 1967, the hippies that remained held a mock funereal, “The Death of the Hippie,” to signal the end of the played-out scene.
- Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America. 🇺🇸
- Anti-Trump protesters and police clash in Washington, DC, during the inauguration. Cars and storefronts have been vandalized, many arrests have been made.
- US officials didn't know drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán was being extradited from Mexico to the United States until the day it happened.
- And as many as eight survivors have been found after a deadly avalanche buried a hotel in Italy.