3. Originally the movie was budgeted at $250,000, but after production ran over it ballooned to $1.5 million–an enormous sum in the 1930’s. Walt was forced to mortgage his home to pay for production.
4. Lillian Disney, Walt’s wife, thought the movie would bomb.
8. Legendary voice actor Mel Blanc, best known as the voice of Bugs Bunny, was originally cast to be the voice of Dopey, but he was made mute instead.
10. If you watch closely, you will notice that after Snow White is awakened by the Prince’s kiss, she kisses six of the Dwarfs goodbye, she does not kiss Sleepy.
11. The Prince was intended to be a prominent character, but the difficulty found in animating him forced Walt to reduce his part significantly.
12. 19-year-old Adriana Caselotti voiced Snow White. Walt wanted to keep Snow White’s voice special, so he held Adriana to a very strict contract and she was never allowed to perform on stage or film again.
13. But, Adriana did sneak in another - uncredited - voice over in “The Wizard Of Oz”, in the scene where the Tin Man sings “If I only Had A Heart”, she is the voice that says “Wherefore art thou, Romeo?”
17. After the film’s run at New York City’s Radio City Music Hall, many of the velvet seat upholstery had to be replaced. Young children were so frightened by the sequences in the movie that they wet their pants, and consequently the seats.
18. Snow White was the highest grossing film ever for exactly one year, it was surpassed by Gone with the Wind.
- Protests outside a Donald Trump rally in New Mexico turned violent Tuesday night as demonstrators threw rocks and bottles at police officers.
- The Afghan Taliban has picked an extremist scholar as its successor to leader Mullah Mansour, who was killed in a U.S. drone strike last week.
- Twitter will no longer count links, @names, and GIFs toward its 140-character limit. You can also retweet yourself now.