2. In 1959, the first Barbie doll sold for $3.00 (that would be the equivalent of $23.97 today).
7. Over the years, Barbie has had seven siblings: Skipper, Stacie, Chelsea, Krissy, Kelly, Tutti, and Todd.
Rappin’ Rockin’ Barbie commercial:
This was the cringe-inducing message written on the back of the Rappin’ Rockin’ Barbie box:
“When you and your friends
are in a dancin’ mood,
Hip-hop to the Boom Box beat
with a cool attitude.
Barbie says, ‘Yo! Come on, guys,
and all you fly girls too.
Rap ‘n rhyme ‘cause now it’s time
to show what you can do!’”
9. Ken is two years and two days younger than Barbie (he was introduced in 1961). Also, his full name is Ken Carson.
13. Brown is the color most frequently used for Barbie’s eye shadow.
Totally Hair Barbie commercial:
18. Aqua’s 1997 song, “Barbie Girl,” was the subject of the lawsuit Mattel v. MCA Records. In 2002, Mattel lost the lawsuit, a Court of Appeals ruled that the song was protected under the First Amendment as “parody and a social commentary.”
In 2009, despite the lawsuit, Mattel released a music video of Barbie singing, “Barbie Girl” (a re-recorded version with modified lyrics):
- Nearly 70,000 people convicted of felonies but now on probation or parole are suing Louisiana for the right to vote.
- The men who attacked Istanbul's main airport on Tuesday, killing 44 people, were from Russia, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan.
- A federal judge halted Mississippi's anti-LGBT religious exemption law moments before it was set to go into effect.