1. Jeremy Abbott is a four-time U.S. figure skating champion whose best Olympic or world championship finish is fifth; today, his short program in Sochi started off terribly with a serious-looking fall.
2. For a long moment, it looked like Abbott wasn’t going to get up.
3. But he did.
4. And, with the crowd hollering, nailed the rest of his routine.
5. There were spins. There were jumps.
6. There was serious showing-off for the judges.
7. Did he know he’d pulled it off? OH YEAH.
8. Not bad. Abbott’s currently sitting in fifth place, though there are some very good skaters yet to perform.
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site today or face arrest.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- The ACLU is suing the city of Milwaukee and its police for allegedly performing thousands of illegal stop-and-frisk searches that targeted minorities.
- #Peggygate: West Elm offers full refunds for the notoriously disintegrating Peggy Couch days after pulling it from its website and stores👏