Opening in 1976, Disney’s River Country was Walt Disney World’s first water park. Then in 2001 Disney shut down the park for what they called “maintenance.” In 2005 it was announced that River Country’s gates would never be opened again. What has become of this once beloved park? It seems it has been left starving and alone along with our shattered memories.
7. Its theme was set around the old fashion swimming hole from the days of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn
The park was connected to Disney Bay Lake, so it did indeed use natural water in the park. A special filtration system was built to make the water safe and clean.
18. Rumors for years have suggested that the park will be revived as a water park specifically for Disney’s Fort Wilderness Lodge Resort.
19. But until we know its ultimate fate, let us remember River Country as a place of clean water, safe and fun slides & rides, and wonderful family memories. Not the gruesome images that now haunt the park today.
No one really knows the true reasons why this delightful place was shunned by Disney. Perhaps lack of attendance? Maybe the natural water and Florida’s sudden concern for water born bacterias could have been a factor? Or Disney’s new and improved water parks Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach were what caused River Country’s demise. Whatever the reason, it was enough to cause Disney to turn its back completely and never return. River Country still sits alone today, sad and abandoned longing to be loved again.
21. Bonus Material! Check out this video of these guys who snuck there way into the abandoned park. Complete with working water fountains and music that still plays inside the park.
- Thousands have made it to the Women's March on Washington to stand up for women's right and protest Donald Trump.
- Crowds for the Women's March in Washington, DC, are turning out to be much larger than for the inauguration so far.
- Marches are being held around the world in solidarity with the women in Washington.
- People are participating in the Women's March today all the way in Antarctica, surrounded by penguins ❄️