1. You go to your dentist for a basic check-up and a cleaning.
2. Next thing you know, you’re being told you need more than just a cleaning. You need braces.
3. Or a tooth extraction
4. But you’re in luck! He would be happy to do the work for you right there in his office.
5. So you consent. After all, he’s an expert, right?
6. But what if he wasn’t an expert? Rather than putting in the thousands of hours of supervised residency training needed to become a licensed specialist in this procedure, what if he only attended a 5-day seminar to get a “certificate of completion”?
7. Or a 1-day seminar:
8. Or worse… a webinar:
9. Every day, some Primary Care Dentists across the country provide specialist treatment without the advanced training or licensure to do so, while misleading patients to believe they are qualified and equipped to perform them.
10. They’re able to do this because dental professionals are regulated by state dental boards made up almost exclusively of Primary Care Dentists. Translation: dentists are regulating dentists and looking out for their own interests.
11. And because there’s no federal oversight on dental care, there’s no one to stop them from keeping these archaic regulations in place and taking advantage of dental patients.
12. So, next time your dentist suggests that you need some “additional work” and offers to do it himself, make sure you ask the right questions.
13. They might try to talk you out of seeking treatment elsewhere…
14. But you’ll know better.
Today, dentists all across the country are able to make reckless decisions regarding patient health with almost no regulatory oversight.
They send their family members to specialists for braces, root canals, extractions, and other procedures, but irresponsibly provide it to strangers from their own office for profit. You can help us change that.
Visit www.IChooseMySmiles.org to learn more.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 247 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- US Soccer suspended Hope Solo for 6 months after she called Sweden's team "cowards" during the Rio Olympics ❌⚽️
- Donald Trump's campaign paid a Barnes & Noble $55,055 to buy more than 3,500 hardcover copies of his book.