1. Dead Man’s Bones - “In The Room Where You Sleep”
Dead Man’s Bones is the band of little known actor, Ryan Gosling. I don’t know if you’ve heard of him or not. All of their songs are perfect for Halloween and there may or may not be more of their tracks on this list.
2. The Animals - “The House of the Rising Sun”
Not much needs to be said in defense of this song’s Halloween-ness. Hell, American Horror Story: Coven even uses a version of this song in one of their promos.
3. “Come Little Children”
Two words: Hocus. Pocus.
4. Javier Navarrete - “Lullaby (Music Box)”
A child’s music box is eerie any time of the year.
5. Marilyn Manson - “This Is Halloween”
Perhaps the most famous song from Nightmare Before Christmas. Only this version is by Marilyn Manson, and it’s Marilyn Manson so that explains itself.
6. Danny Elfman - “Beetlejuice Main Theme”
Anyone who doesn’t think Beetlejuice when they think about Halloween needs to be eaten by a Sand Worm.
7. Ray Parker Jr. - “Ghostbusters”
It’s f***ing Ghostbusters…
8. The Rocky Horror Picture Show - “Time Warp”
9. Eels - “Fresh Blood”
Probably not a song most people would think of when they think of Halloween but this song is dark and sexy and was even featured on the True Blood soundtrack.
10. Dead Man’s Bones - “Werewolf Heart”
11. The Cure - “Lullaby”
It could be argued that every day is Halloween for Robert Smith.
12. Warren Zevon - “Werewolves of London”
Everything that you need to know is in the title. WEREWOLVES. This is a song that is right up there with Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” in how often it shows up on Halloween playlists.
13. Jen Titus - “O Death”
Fan’s of Supernatural know this song. It is quite literally Death’s anthem.
14. Blue Oyster Cult - “Don’t Fear The Reaper”
Keeping with the theme of death…
15. Mike Oldfield - “Tubular Bells”
It’s just bells right? But somehow the association of these bells with The Exorcist makes just hearing this theme enough to creep you out.
16. Michael Jackson - Thriller
17. Danny Elfman - “Tales From The Crypt (Main Title)”
If you’ve never watched Tales From The Crypt, I suggest you get on that.
18. Tom Waits - “Whistlin Past The Graveyard”
Tom Waits might as well be Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas.
19. Rob Zombie - “Living Dead Girl”
Rob Zombie also permanently lives in Halloweentown and I don’t blame him.
20. Dead Man’s Bones - “My Body’s A Zombie For You”
21. The Creepshow - “Halloween”
This is a cover of The Misfits’ song. However The Creepshow’s psycho-billy version gives me more of a Halloween-ish feeling.
22. John Carpenter & Dan Wyman - “Halloween (Main Theme)”
The original main theme of Halloween is simple but yet somehow in that simplicity it has managed to crawl into the psyches of millions and successfully creep them out.
23. Charlie Clauser - “Main Theme”
Even if you didn’t know what movie this track came from, you would still probably associate it with Halloween.
24. Laura Gibson - “Little Red Riding Hood”
25. Siouxsie & The Banshees - “Cities In Dust”
Siouxsie Sioux is essentially the female Robert Smith, except better.
26. The Smiths - “How Soon Is Now”
You might associate this song with Charmed or the Love Spit Love version with The Craft. Either way this song is featured in two projects that have to do with witches.
27. Gerard McCann - “Cry Little Sister”
This song is featured on the soundtrack of one of my favorite, super 80’s, vampire films, The Lost Boys.
28. The Rolling Stones - “Paint It Black”
29. The Kinks - “Wicked Annabella”
30. Ministry - “Everyday Is Halloween”
It is for me, Ministry, it is for me.
31. Dead Man’s Bones - “Buried In Water”
32. Honorable Mention: The Specials - “Ghost Town”
This song has nothing to do with Halloween, it’s actually addressing the economic despair that was going on at the time, but it makes the list because of its eerie sound and for the fact that urban decay, unemployment, and violence are all scarier than ghosts & goblins.
- John Glenn, a pioneering astronaut and the first American to orbit the Earth, has died at 95. Godspeed, Glenn 🚀🇺🇸
- Donald Trump's likely pick for labor secretary is a high-profile critic of the push to raise the federal minimum wage.
- Black Lives Matter — the protest movement born out of a desire to stem police brutality — has taken root across the globe.
- Mick Jagger is a new dad at age 73 and people have some things to say 👀