33 Things You Don't Realize You Need Until You Need Them
It's always good to be prepared.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A suction tool to help relieve the itchy agony of bug bites by sucking out insect venom, saliva, and other irritants under your skin. Finally, you can go outside after dark again!
2. A journal happy to store all your increasingly complicated passwords. At least 12 characters, including a symbol, number, capital letter, ancient rune, and the fleeting details of a half-remembered dream? COME ON!
3. A back zipper pull so you can get into dresses all by yourself, no complicated methods or partners needed.
4. A pack of shower curtain clips, because the last thing you want to happen after watching Psycho is to have the curtain billow in and attack you.
5. A 32 SPF sunscreen that defends your skin from the sun, plus blue light and pollution. I'm telling you, you gotta wear sunscreen every day to protect that delicate face!
6. A metal bar of "soap" that will help you get rid of any unwanted food smells so you can go from chopping up garlic to shaking hands with sensitive-nosed people in no time.
7. A dog paw cleaning device so Fido doesn't mess up your clean home every time they come back inside.
9. A keychain car escape tool able to both cut your seat belt and break your car window in emergency situations.
10. A satin-lined Hairbrella to keep your hair protected from rain, humidity, and anything else that's out to ruin your perfect hairdo.
11. A pack of pantry moth traps you'll be running grab the second you see your first annoying, tiny aviator. These things will stop the moths from reproducing, aka no more gross larvae in your cereal.
12. A black car scratch remover to hide any minor scuff-offs you might have had recently. *glances nervously at the mailbox that still has some black paint on it*
Promising review: "Easy to apply with a little elbow grease. Does a very good job removing swirls and light scratches. I used the black/dark paint version and it worked very well on my Kia Stinger. Left a nice polished looking surface and filled in the small imperfections. It even improved a deep scratch I had on the side and made it less visible. It completely removed a mark where a rubber bike handle had rubbed against the car and dulled the paint. Works as advertised and is really pretty easy to apply." —AudioJunkie
Get it from Amazon for $19.95.
13. Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza — a card game delivering a heavy dose of high-energy, adorably illustrated fun right when you need it.
Here's how to play: You deal all the cards out to your two to four players, and everyone keeps their mini-deck face down. Everyone takes a turn putting a card down in the middle of the table, saying one of the words "taco," "cat," "goat," "cheese," and "pizza," in that order. If the picture on your card matches the word that's said, everyone slaps their hand on the card in a pile as quickly as possible. The last person on the pile has to take the stack and add them to their cards, and whoever runs out of cards first wins!
Promising review: "Ridiculous in a good way! I was skeptical about how much I may enjoy this game being in my mid-thirties. But it's a lot of fun! Easy to learn, easy to play, my 8-year-old has lots of fun with it. Its a great family game with the potential to be a late-night more adult-oriented event if you’re picking up what I'm throwing down. Cheers!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $9.97.
14. A pack of canker sore patches to heal those suckers in as little as one day. That means less stress — and less stress means less canker sores. The cycle is broken.
They can stay on even while you're eating or drinking!
Promising review: "Honestly this is one of the weirdest things I've ever done — but it worked. I put the patch on my canker sore (looks like a tiny pill) overnight and when I woke up the patch was all huge and felt like a sponge. IT WORKED! My canker sore was significantly smaller when I woke up and no longer rubbed up against my teeth. I did one more night with the canker patch and it was completely gone. This product works great for not just mouth sore, but tongue sores. Would highly recommend!" —LW
Get a pack of six from Amazon for $13+ (available in two sizes).
15. A stain remover that says, "hey it's OK, no need to cry over spilled wine."
Promising review: "Lo and behold! I completely cleaned the window sills, the window shades, the baseboards, the walls and the carpeting! You cannot even tell it happened. No stains or color change to the carpet or the walls or the white painted surfaces. Before you try or use anything, buy this. It cannot be beat! I was afraid I might have to hire a professional to clean the carpet and that I might have to completely repaint walls, but no." —Sharon Hamilton
Get it from Amazon for $9.66.
16. A jar of O'Keeffe's hand cream you'll want to marinate your dry paws in all season.
Promising review: "Every winter, my fingers and knuckles crack and bleed. I've tried everything on the market to heal my hands. I received this hand cream yesterday and when I put it on, I could tell right away that this was better than anything I'd tried. This stuff started working immediately. I filled all the cuts and cracks on my hands with this cream, and today they are almost healed. I believe that this is the best hand cream ever made on earth." —Steve
Get a 3.4-ounce jar from Amazon for $6.98+. (available in three size packs)
17. A handy multitool jar opener that uses the power of grippy rubber and torque to make opening any stubborn jar a breeze. It also comes with a bottle opener that can also open some cans!
Psst — a lot of reviewers with arthritis swear by these for pain-free, easy opening, and parents say it makes it a lot easier for kids to open jars, too!
Promising review: "Having had arthritis in my hands since my teens, I have used many jar/bottle openers out of necessity. The OXO ones work well, but wear out within a year because of the volume of usage. This fabulous opener has yet to find a container that it cannot easily open, even bottles of water with heavily sealed caps. I love it so much I ordered another one to have in two drawers on either end of my kitchen. This gripper does not exacerbate my carpel tunnel syndrome, either. I would give it more stars if I could." —Patrizia L.
Get it from Amazon for $9.99 (available in five colors).
18. A sunburn soother crafted with aloe and coconut oil to hydrate skin and turn back time to before you stayed out in the sun a little too long.
Psst — a lot of reviewers mentioned this also helped prevent peeling and itching!
Promising review: "I ordered this two weeks ago after seeing rave reviews. So grateful I did. Yesterday I got the worst burn. It was unbelievable. I applied this four times over 24 hours. When I woke up this morning it was a lot better and has just gotten increasingly better throughout the day. The burn is mostly faded, and the pain is so much better. I hope to never burn this badly again, but I will be stockpiling this lotion all the same." —Carolina G.
Get it from Amazon for $6.81.
19. A Rumpl indoor/outdoor blanket, which is waterproof and dirt resistant so you can stay cozy, even in the dirtiest conditions.
Rumpl is a Portland, OR-based small business that was inspired by warm and snuggly sleeping bags, and how much better the material retains heat compared to traditional bedding. The idea of a "sleeping bag blanket" was born, and Rumpl with it. They use only 100% post-consumer recycled materials, and are now recycling over 5 million discarded plastic bottles through their supply chain every year. They also offset all their carbon emissions with carbon credits!
The Rumpl blanket is also machine washable and dryer-safe!
Promising review: "We took this king-size blanket with us on our camping trip to New Zealand. At first I thought it might have been too overkill since it took up a lot of space in my luggage and a duvet was included in our camper van rental. But we ended up using this every night, enjoying the warmth and breathable comfort even on fairly warmly evenings. It was definitely large enough for two even with tossing and turning, we both had enough Rumpl to sleep well throughout the night. Great purchase, totally worth it." —Becca606
Get it from Amazon for $99+ (available in two sizes and five colors).
20. A travel journal so you can keep track of all the cool stuff you've been up to. There are pages to track where you've been, write about who you've met on your travels, add reviews, and paste pictures. There's even a travel library — an illustrated library of books where you can write down what you've read while on the road.
21. Tide's Brights + Whites Rescue capable of making colorful clothing more vibrant and white clothing up to three shades lighter. Wow, better wear sunglasses when you pull out your dazzlingly clean laundry!
Promising review: "I bought this based off of the good reviews and I'm so glad I did! I added the Tide W+B and washed on hot with extra rinse cycle to help remove the strong fragrance. I did this twice. Whites and colors looked new again!! Then I used it on all of my white bed sheets and towels. Amazing difference!" —Sean Ulrich
Get a pack of 27 from Amazon for $18.19.
22. A survival bandana printed with a ton of helpful survival information in case you get into trouble on a hike. It's good to wear on your head, use as a sling, collect water, and more.
Promising review: "Oversized compared to your typical bandana, which is awesome! Great weight. My family and I have been building our BOBs (bug out bags). I have been wanting to find something like this for a while. It is nice; it has instructions on it. Very versatile. I bought one to test out to see if it was worth getting more. I am thrilled to say it is. I will be purchasing one for each of us. Super excited. I love how brightly colored this one is as well. It is going to make it nice to hike and camp with." —Shadow Breaker
Get it from Amazon for $11.50.
23. A mosquito-repelling camping lantern that'll provide light and protection from buzzing pests. Just think: no sprays, no using your phone as a flashlight, no gross candles — just good vibes.
Promising review: "After using this thing up in the mountains and in the backyard jungle I have, this little device makes a big difference in sitting outside at night. I doubted that anything besides a good repellent would work, but I was wrong. I will be buying a couple more to have handy wherever I am. Go ahead and buy one, they work!" —Kindle Customer
Get it from Amazon for $39.99.
24. A lantern and fan hybrid you can hook to the top of your tent, because who said you can't take a ceiling fan on a camping trip?
Promising review: "I went camping this week, and I just hate when it's sooooo darn hot in the tent, and of course there's no place to put a fan AND a light. This one worked perfectly. It hung by it's built in hook to the top of the tent, the light was just right, and the fan was quiet and effective for a two-person tent. Happy I bought it." —Kevin Gaither
Get it from Amazon for $15.99