1. The first PC game I ever played was called London Racer. It was really bad.
2. Not just because it was a racing game with crappy handling, boring tracks and horrible graphics, though.
Although it did have those things.
3. But because it portrayed a “London” which was nothing like the one I recognised.
That’s not the shape of London!
4. Years later, I played Modern Warfare 3. “Mind the Gap” was actually pretty good.
That’s the mission where you fight your way through Canary Wharf, only to find the truck you’ve been tracking is a decoy…
6. It got me thinking: is there any game that does Britain right?
Any of these?
7. GTA: London 1969 was good enough. Even if the dialogue was a parody of a parody.
8. And their idea of geography was… confused.
If I could walk from Mile End to Angle my life would be a lot easier.
10. But christ it was boring, especially when you were out of the car.
11. Lara Croft is probably the most famous British video game character, but Croft Manor isn’t much like my house.
12. And anyway, things only really get interesting for her when she leaves the country
13. Things get even worse if you start trying to look for other parts of Britain.
Yes, there’s a Brave video game. No, it’s not very good.
14. You start seriously wondering if Monkey Island counts
Maybe it’s a British Overseas Territory! A lot of the Carribean is, you know.
15. In the end, though, there is one game which captures Britain perfectly.
16. Sure, it’s basically just a lot of spreadsheets
17. But despite that – or maybe because of it – Football Manager has got to be the most British game in the world.
- The FBI will reopen its investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server after discovering new emails.
- A group of UK Uber drivers have won the right to minimum wage in a case that could have huge implications for the "gig economy" 🚘
- A federal jury cleared the leaders of an Oregon standoff. The militia group took over a wildlife refuge last January.
- Here are some of the best Vines to watch before Twitter kills it 💀