1. Kitty Cash is a badass Brooklyn-bred DJ.
She’s been a powerful wingwoman for singer Kilo Kish, but she’s also been making a name for herself as a curator of eclectic R&B. Last year she solicited a bunch of cool original tracks for her own compilation mixtape, Love the Free. This summer she plans to release another R&B comp, plus a new hip-hop compilation.
4. In the mix, Cash blends Maya Angelou’s poem “Phenomenal Woman” with a remix of Lauryn Hill’s song “Doo-Wop (That Thing).”
Cash looked up to Angelou as someone who “was confident, strong, sexual, and of course, phenomenal,” and Hill for challenging what a woman in pop culture should look like. “Lauryn had that beautiful chocolate skin, the dreadlocks, and she showed me sexy wasn’t only about showing skin, but about a presence and confidence,” Cash said.
5. So the mix is a conversation between Cash and all the women she feels blazed the trail for her.
“One of my favorites has to be the snippet of Eartha Kitt on ‘Love and Compromise,’” Cash said. “All of these women set the precedent for artists today, and of course, this doesn’t even scratch the surface. I could have continued for hours but here is my introduction.”
- From water jugs and dehydrated food, to faraday cages and unregistered vehicles, liberals are prepping for Trump's presidency.
- Federal agencies have put on a fireworks finale for the Obama administration, suing JP Morgan, Oracle, Fiat Chrysler, and Navient.
- Former Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue will be nominated as Trump's secretary of agriculture, the final cabinet position to be selected.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? This Chinese selfie app is why. Say cheese 📸