1. “Fruit” is a botanical term and “vegetable” is a culinary term, so certain vegetation such as tomatoes, green beans, eggplants, and cucumbers could be called either fruits or vegetables.
4. One third of the plant life on the island of Socotra near Yemen can’t be found anywhere else on Earth. It has been described as “most alien-looking place on Earth”.
6. There’s a garden in England dedicated to plants that kill.
Its creator, the Dutchess of Northumberland thought that “most children I knew would be more interested in hearing how a plant killed, how long it would take you to die if you ate it and how gruesome and painful the death might be.”
8. Marijuana and hops are from the same plant family: Cannabaceae.
9. But broccoli, broccolini, and broccoli rabe are not.
10. In fact, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, Chinese cabbage and savoy are all the same species of plant, but are so selectively bred that they no longer resemble one another.
11. Native Americans planted corn, beans, and squash together because corn provides a structure for the beans to climb, beans provide the nitrogen to the soil that the other plants utilize, and the squash spreads along the ground preventing weeds.
15. Mustard and wasabi aren’t spicy until they are crushed. When the plant’s cells are damaged, two otherwise harmless components mix and produce allyl isothiocyanate, the compound responsible for the familiar pungent taste.
16. The entire dandelion plant is edible. Its leaves provide your recommended daily intake of Vitamin K, its flowers can be used to make wine, its root can be used to make a brewed drink that tastes a bit like coffee, and its also used in several soft drinks.
21. The locations of the oldest tree in the world, Methuselah, and the tallest tree in the world, Hyperion, are closely guarded secrets. Only a handful of scientists know the exact locations of the trees.
Methuselah is somewhere in California’s Inyo National Forest, and was 4,843 years old in 2012. Hyperion is a 379.1-foot-tall coast redwood somewhere in Redwood National Park in California.
22. Could be because in 2012, the fifth oldest tree in the world, The Senator, was burned down by a meth addict.
23. Or because in 1973, the world’s most isolated tree, Arbre du Ténéré, was hit and destroyed by a drunk driver, despite being 250 miles from any other living tree.
- Some Bernie-or-Busters protested Hillary Clinton's DNC speech, but a tightly organized plan — from chants to secret allies — kept heckling off TV.
- Sixteen people are reported dead after a hot air balloon crashed in Texas.
- Two brothers suspected of planning terror attacks have been arrested in Belgium, prosecutors say.