19 Things You Should Know About The "Divergent" Series From Author Veronica Roth
Was Tobias based off anyone? Did Veronica always have the series ending in mind? The brain behind the trilogy dishes! Warning: Divergent and Insurgent spoilers!
BuzzFeed sat down with Divergent author Veronica Roth to get some deets on the popular YA trilogy. Here are some things we learned:
1. Veronica Roth chose the location for Abnegation headquarters before any of the other factions.
2. Readers will find out (in Allegiant) how Tobias' fear landscape has changed since he publicly beat his father in the second book.
3. We may never know what provoked Peter to stab Edward in the eye with a butter knife.
4. Amanda Ritter (aka Edith Prior) was in Abnegation.
5. Roth considered writing parts of Allegiant from Caleb's and Natalie's point of view.
6. Uriah isn't in the first movie because his role is too minor, but he will be a big addition to Insurgent.
Do you have an ideal candidate for Uriah in the next movie?
VR: I don't. I just want someone who's a very good actor. They considered a lot of talented young men for that role and it didn't work out. I hope they maybe go back to the pool now that the timing has changed to see if they're available, because some of them were really great.
Are you sad that he's not in the first movie?
VR: Yeah, I'm sad. I kind of understand, now that I've seen so much of the movie get shot, why he wasn't in it. They want the role to be big and solid in the second one, and he was only going to be in a couple scenes in the first one. It's like, you want to hire an actor who can handle the role in the second one, and he's not going to be the same one who can handle the role in the first one. It just wasn't working and it was a bummer, but they'll make it work.