1. Maori, New Zealand (c. 1900)
2. Edith Burchett; London, Great Britain (c. 1920)
3. Ron Ackers at work; Bristol, Great Britain (1950s)
4. Pamela Nash tattooed by Les Skuse; Bristol, Great Britain (1950s)
5. Cindy Ray in her studio; Ivanhoe, Australia (1960s)
6. Cindy Ray; Ivanhoe, Australia (1960s)
7. Les Skuse in his studio; Bristol, Great Britain (1960s)
8. Artist Unknown (1970s)
9. Tattoo by Horiwaka; Tokyo, Japan
10. Tattoo by Petalo Suluepe; Samoa (1990s)
11. Tattoo master Roal Nuii; Moorea, Tahiti (1995)
12. Tattoo master Tavita; Moorea, Tahiti (1995)
13. Tattoo by Horiwaka; Tokyo, Japan
14. Tattoo by Dave Lum; Salem, Oregon
The new edition of 1000 Tattoos, published by TASCHEN, is out now.
- It's Day 2 of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Here's what you need to know.
- Three Qaddafi henchmen who are wanted for embezzling millions from Libya have been found living comfortably in Britain.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a church attack that killed a priest in northern France on Tuesday.