We asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us how going sober has improved their lives. Here's what they had to say.
1. It might give you some added clarity and focus in your life.
2. And that can make it easier to take care of your physical health...
3. As well as your mental health...
4. All of which can make you happier.
5. It might allow you to face your recovery head on.
6. And it may even help you process some trauma or anxiety that you had previously been getting through with alcohol.
7. It opens up time to pursue your passions...
8. Or get reacquainted with your hobbies.
9. Getting sober might help you stay focused in school...
10. Or in your career...
11. Or even help you figure out exactly where you'll truly thrive in this crazy, confusing life.
12. For some, it means you won't have to keep your drinking a secret anymore.
13. And it might make it easier for other people to trust you again.
14. Giving up alcohol may improve your sleep quality.
15. And it makes remembering things a whole lot easier.
16. Plus, you'll never have to worry about how you're getting home.
17. It might give you a stronger appreciation for your family...
18. And your true friends, who will respect that you don't need a drink to still have a good time with them.
If you're struggling with alcohol, call 1-800-662-HELP.
The Center for Substance Abuse Treatment's 24-hour National Treatment Referral Hotline will be able to direct you to treatment services in your area.
Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.