16 Important Things To Know About Getting A Puppy
These fuzzy balls of joy (and poop) don't come with an owner's manual, so here's the lowdown on your new best friend.
1. You will need to puppy-proof your house.
2. You'll need a license for your puppy.
3. Your puppy needs ID.
4. Your puppy needs to go to the vet and get vaccines. Like, by law.
5. Your puppy also needs protection from fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes.
6. There’s a chance your puppy might have parasites.
7. You should get your puppy spayed or neutered.
8. Your puppy needs a social life.
9. Keeping your puppy entertained will keep them out of trouble.
10. But it’s important not to give your puppy too MUCH exercise.
11. Patience and consistency are the keys to house-training.
12. It’s important for your puppy to get the right food — and to eat often enough.
13. You need to know your puppy poisons.
14. Puppies’ teeth need brushing, too.
15. Your puppy should go to school.
16. Special breeds have special needs.
Anna O'Brien graduated from Purdue's School of Veterinary Medicine and is a veterinarian currently in Maryland.