2. Help out seniors.
Marathoners in great shape. Could carry food up staircases to elderly/disabled in apartments without power for elevators.— Roger Simon
Runners looking for a physical challenge can also lug food and water to and from shelters or participate in a number of other relief efforts going on across the city.
3. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
With subways still not running between the boroughs, walking is one of the few ways to actually get from Brooklyn to Manhattan. Over the weekend it should be less crowded, and at least as of now, the weather’s supposed to be nice.
4. Help clean up Staten Island.
Marathoners won’t be starting a race in Staten Island this weekend, but they may still be able to go there and help out. Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis is seeking volunteers Saturday to help clean up the flood-ravaged borough. The Staten Island Ferry is working again, as are buses to the island.
5. Give blood.
Many blood drives had to be cancelled due to the hurricane, so the Red Cross is urging people who can to give blood to make up for the lost donations. Runners probably wouldn’t have been able to donate if they were about to run a marathon (strenuous exercise right after giving blood isn’t the best idea), but they can now. A number of locations in the city are offering blood donation appointments this weekend.
The power is back on in some parts of Manhattan, and runners no longer have to maintain peak physical condition, so there’s every reason to indulge in a night of revelry.
- President Trump laid out an ambitious agenda in his speech to Congress, but Republicans are still divided on how to pass that agenda.
- The FBI is investigating if bomb threats against Jewish centers came from an internet "troll" and are profiling a lone, young, tech-savvy person.
- Facebook is using artificial intelligence for suicide prevention, scanning feeds for signs of people at risk of self-harm, then offering resources for help.
- Uber's CEO said he's "seeking leadership help" after dash-cam footage was published of him aggressively arguing with a company driver 😳