14 Books For Anyone Who's Had A Tough Year
Books for the lonely, downtrodden, pissed, lost, or just anyone who's not OK.
You probably don't need me to tell you that books can be incredibly healing, but in case you do: Books can be incredibly healing!!!
They can make you feel less alone and validate your experiences, give you insight and pep talks you didn't know you needed, or just provide comfort and distraction when the world is being extra shitty. And friends, the world has been extra shitty this year.
So whether you're buying (or checking out!) for yourself or a loved one, these books might be just what you need to cap off 2018 feeling a little more okay.
1. For anyone who’s been feeling lonely or isolated: How to Be Alone: If You Want To, and Even If You Don't by Lane Moore
2. For anyone who needs help getting through the day: Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You by Lin-Manuel Miranda
3. For anyone who needs a little TLC after the trash fire of 2018: The Spirit Almanac: A Modern Guide to Ancient Self-Care by Emma Loewe and Lindsay Kellner
5. For anyone who's been rejected, lonely, insecure, or defeated: Emotional First Aid by Guy Winch, PhD
6. For anyone who wants to feel empowered as hell: Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World by Mackenzi Lee
7. For anyone who wants to learn how to laugh through their depression or anxiety: Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson
8. For any woman who has felt angry, ashamed, helpless, or hopeless this year: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
9. For any human who's ever needed advice: How to Be a Person in the World: Ask Polly's Guide Through the Paradoxes of Modern Life by Heather Havrilesky
11. For anyone jaded, frustrated, or exhausted by their search for love: How to Be Single and Happy by Jennifer Taitz, PsyD
12. For anyone who needs a reminder that there is still a place for hope and kindness in the world: The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King
Reviews have been edited for length or clarity.