2. No two legs are the same
Our prosthetic sockets are carefully and meticulously molded to each of our stumps. Test sockets are made, things are shaped and cut down and built up and re-molded so no, we can’t switch for fun.
4. There’s a BIG difference between above-knee and below-knee
Nothing compares to flesh and bone. The computerized knees they make for above-knee amputees are great, but we can’t control them with our brains yet. We make them flex and straighten by shifting our weight.
7. We really, really, REALLY appreciate our ability to walk
Most of us try extremely hard to avoid resorting to wheelchair use, unless we absolutely have to. (But, alas, the world is unpredictable, so we stay open to resourceful solutions to unlikely situations.)
8. We don’t walk around all day on these bad boys
That would suck. These are for running, and running only.
9. On that note, we’re not all Oscar Pistorius and/or Aimee Mullins
Athletic, gorgeous, successful, famous…
10. …Although some of us come close.
(Yes, some of those are pictures of me…)
14. We date people
Inside and outside the amputated community. And our relationships are just as physically fulfilling as yours. (See #1)
17. We could all use some “splash room”
For some of us, our regular, stable, every-single-day, totally under-control walking just looks really sketchy. But I promise you, we’ve got this.
18. Yes, learning to walk with fake legs was hard
And at times, frustrating. And un-dignified. And discouraging. But it’s worth it, when you take those first few unassisted steps.
19. It’s okay to laugh with us
Every single one of us has no-legs jokes that we tell, and tell often. And they’re very funny.
20. If you have a question, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just ask
Being stared at hurts. And that hurt starts to build up inside, when the gawking is all we get. It gets exhausting. But we’re understanding- and I cannot stress this enough- all you have to do is talk to us. We’re all human.
- As they succumbed to smoke inhalation, the Oakland warehouse fire victims texted their loved ones and some embraced, authorities said.
- Former Sen. Bob Dole's law firm was paid $20,000 a month to lobby for Taiwan — and played a role in Trump's call with the president.
- It's finally here: You can now like comments on Instagram, and people are excited about it 😍📷
- Grammy nominations: Beyoncé has earned 9, including Album of the Year. Drake, Rihanna, and Kanye West each got 8 nods 💿🎶